Hull & Barnsley Railway Expansion Plans

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GWRSwindon
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Hull & Barnsley Railway Expansion Plans

Post by GWRSwindon »

The Hull & Barnsley Railway, despite its humble size, seems to have had some fairly ambitious plans to expand, including an extension from Cudworth to Huddersfield and Halifax. I've found an article in an 1884 issue of Railway Record describing the plan for the line somewhat, apparently the Midland was to have had running powers over the line.

Does anyone have any information on the H&BR's plans?
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Hull & Barnsley Railway Expansion Plans

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It didn't happen, would be the sum of my knowledge. Capital was a problem during this period, with overseas investment a much stronger market is my recollection, but economists are welcome to correct with better information. This may of course have been a ploy to obtain running powers from the mighty NER, the threat of Midland Railway penetration into their territory not a welcome proposition?
md644
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Hull & Barnsley Railway Expansion Plans

Post by md644 »

From memory I think "engineering concerns" (potentially extensive earthworks and/or viaducts) also put the H&B off, and as Hatfield Shed says money was also an issue.
There's reference to it in one of the "Hull and Barnsley Railway Volume 1&2" books from the late 70's/early 1980's - sadly I cannot recall much detail from memory....I'll maybe see if I can find my copies.