LNER road vehicles

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

NZRedBaron
LNER J39 0-6-0

LNER road vehicles

Post by NZRedBaron »

Does anyone know about what sort of road services vehicles the LNER might have used? I mean, like the Commer vans, Thorneycroft Nippy's, and Scammell Scarabs/Mechanical Horses are obvious examples, but what about others, such as rigid-frame dropsides, or maybe even buses, or whatever.
rockinjohn
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: LNER road vehicles

Post by rockinjohn »

Hi well you've named most apart from the Walker or Pagefield cranes,the karrier bantams replaced the old & new Scammells sometimes, living near the road transport workshops in Ashburton Grove gave a view of old trucks returning like elephants to be scrapped always found it strange with the Engineers "blue"faded livery almost becoming a faded purple hue @ end of life repainting or scrapping on the pre-war Commers I saw,also the Ford one ton vans &Fordson Trucks with half canvas canopy that came in from further outposts like Huntingdon&Hitchin,I can only relate to early post nationlisation observations, but lots of the trucks were pre-war just repainted in to blood/custard with Blk wings hope this helps,
NZRedBaron
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by NZRedBaron »

I see.

I've got an idea for my layout to have a largish goods yard, with lorries carrying various goods in and out of the depot; the problem is that, as far as I can tell, it's near impossible to find ready-built or even kits of such vehicles for anything earlier than 1950's BR "Blood and Custard"; at best you might find some demobbed ex-army lorries and maybe a bus from literally days before the war broke out, but for a layout I have in mind, there's almost nothing; not even horse and carts.
Chas Levin
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Chas Levin »

Hello, just found the thread. I converted the Merit Thorneycroft Type PB 4 Ton lorry to be an LNER one, having read that they used a wide variety of vehicles:
Merit Thorneycroft PB 20210312 (10).jpg
Merit Thorneycroft PB 20210312 (12).jpg
Recently, I've been working my way through the LNER Magazine, which ran from 1927 to 1947, researching a future model build. In the course of that, I've saved various photos that I tohught might also be useful, as I plan to build more LNER road vehicles - here are a couple, I'll add some more in another post as this seems to have reached the upload limit:
LNER advertising van  (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 12 Dec 1934).jpg
LNER lorries, grain loads (LNER Mag Vol 21 No 10 Oct 1931).jpg
Chas
Chas Levin
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Chas Levin »

Here are a few more photos of LNER road vehicles - I hope they help, or ay any rate inspire:
LNER lorry express collection York  (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 4 Apr 1934).jpg
LNER lorry express delivery (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 1 Jan 1934).jpg
LNER lorry fleet, Leicester (LNER Mag Vol 24 No 5 May 1934).jpg
LNER lorry, new signage (LNER Mag Vol 20 No 7 Jul 1930).jpg
(I've been using scans of the Magazine bought on CD from the GER Society. I asked if it would be alright to post some articles and photos from the Magazine as part of research I'm doing for another project on a thread on another channel (I'm shortly going to build an LNER Sentinel-Cammell rail coach) and they were happy for me to do so but asked if I would mention their File Emporium, which you can find here: https://www.gersociety.org.uk/index.php ... orium-home and explain a bit about it.
The Society makes a huge number of drawings, pictures and documents available and proceeds from sales go towards the scanning and making available further material for research - I have no connection with them, just a very happy customer!)
Chas
DOCJACOB
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DOCJACOB »

I recall Hull Street Life Museum has a restored LNER livery mechanical horse?
DOCJACOB
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DOCJACOB »

I recall Hull Street Life Museum has a restored LNER livery mechanical horse?

Image on there website.

From railway vehicle think there is NER break van & BR Fish van