Working Timetables

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Working Timetables

Post by Seagull »

swhite01 wrote:Our website is currently going through a review and we plan to relaunch it.....

Ironically I have also been undertaking a similar project to yourself but my timescale is 1932-1935 and my interest is the Southern end of the GN area, Knebworth. .......there are some assumptions made but it is early days and like you done generally when traveling.
Hello Steve,

I was not taking a 'pot shot' at the GNR society - though I realise on re-reading it that I could have phrased it better.
My point is that people are more likely to be attracted to join if they get some idea of what is on offer.
Also a good publications list on the site acts as a advert as search engines often pick up on a good book (or other) title.
Plus it is likely to add to your income.

I have seriously thought about joining the GNR Society, but with your present site I can get no impression if what I will gain from it.
I look forward to the new incarnation of the website and wish you well - you may succeed in parting me from some of my money. :)

Anyway back to the subject.

I am interested in the mainline traffic between KX and York, maybe between us we can eventually do the whole LNER timetable! :lol:

Thanks for the info about the London (Suburban) WTT. I'm keeping my eyes open for anything to show up for around the correct time period.

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Following a recommendation on Bill Becket's Yahoo group, I ordered a copy of the STNs from summer 1953. What a fascinating read and cracking source material for anyone wanting to run a special on their layout.

The most outstanding little gem is available as a sample here. Who'd have thought you could run the Beaver Tail on a model of King's Lynn?
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Well I'm still flogging my way through the 1938 Summer WTT.

I have come across an entry which I cannot work out;- 'Convey King's Cross to Driffield road van and stop Selby to detach'

What is (or was) a 'Road van?'

Alan
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

In this context, a road van was used to carry small parcels ('sundries') which didn't justify a wagon to themselves. They'd run between major centres filled with traffic for several destinations, which would then be combined, sorted and forwarded to wherever they were destined.

I think the NER may be alone in having dedicated vans for this kind of traffic - most railways just used whatever covered van was available, I suspect. There were a number of different diagrams: Beamish have one, which the NER officially classified 'Transship Van'.

This is a model of the bogie version on Bramblewick:

In a more general railway context, a road van was a brake van with a compartment for small or valuable traffic, which the guard would hand over to station staff at wherever it needed to be delivered.
Last edited by jwealleans on Tue Dec 04, 2018 5:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Seagull

Post by Seagull »

Thankyou for a rapid and complete answer.

Alan
Josh Hamilton
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Josh Hamilton »

Sorry for the joining in later!
Would it be possible to get a copy of the finished 1938 version? This is perfect for Cadwell and have no success elsewhere. I've put lots of WTT's into a spreadsheet if you need tips. The GER hold WTT's for the GE so may be worth a look.

Josh Hamilton