"Little LNER Treasures"

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

"Little LNER Treasures"

Post by John B »

Seasons greetings forumites,

Just another oddity from an LNER fan :wink:

I wonder if anyone else has a “little LNER treasure” that they would never ever give away, sell or loan to their best friend even on pain of death or payment of a million pounds.

Well, where do I start:
An LNER guards whistle
A beautiful silver dining knife stamped LNER (very classy)
An LNER third class privilege season ticket from Arram (a local station on the Hull to Bridlington line)
A GER/LNER fogging apparatus report book with entries dating from
December 18th 1913 right through to 16th June 1944

No, none of these, my “Little Treasure” is a copy of the LNER book “The Steam Locomotive It’s Failures and how to deal with them” published by the LNER in February 1927.

It has a black cover and is embossed with gold coloured lettering and has obviously seen much use by Firemen/Drivers. It is full of some of the most exquisite coloured diagrams of firing an engine, exploded coloured views of a simple engine, exploded colour views of valve positions diagrams including – mid, maximum, open to lead and at cut - off positions. Piston valve diagrams in colour (outside admission and inside admission) Joy’s valve gear colour coded, Walschaerts valve gear colour coded, Exhaust steam injectors colour coded and other such marvels and intricacies of a steam engine. The book poses questions such as this;

“Q. What indications do you get for a broken steam port bar when the engine is moving?
A. A heavy blow at the chimney top. The blow will start at the point of admission of steam and cease at the point of cut off. If the blow begins when the right side rod is moving through the front quarter and ceases when it has reached the bottom back angle with the engine going forward, the right back steam port bar is broken. If the blow begins when the right side rod is on the bottom quarter and ceases when it has reached the top back angle, the left back steam port bar is broken. If however the blow begins when the right side rod is moving through the back quarter and ceases when it has reached the top front angle, the right front steam port bar is broken. Should the blow begin when the right side rod is on the top quarter and cease when it has reached the bottom front angle, the left front steam port bar is broken.”

Hands up if you already knew what a steam port bar (in any quarter) was?? :?:

This LNER fan would dearly like to know if anyone else on this forum owns a similar book? :?:

So here’s an invitation to reveal your “Little LNER Treasure” to the rest of us.

Until the next :idea:

JB
John B
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

The failures book does sound like a gem. It woud be useful to have if I ever write an "article" page on valve gear for instance...

Have you seen the 3-cylinder (Gresley conjugated gear) teaching models in the NRM? They're in the "warehouse" to the side (the one that seems to be packed to the ceiling with allsorts in a jumble). The label for kids talks about the restore vs. preserve debate. One of the models is nice and shiney looking, the other has been left "preserved".
They fascinated me when I saw them.

I think the only genuine thing I have is a book that covers different freight loadings, labelling, etc. I'm afraid I don't have the title handy - as it is back home in Texas, and I'm in Macon,Georgia.

Richard
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

It's probably not worth much but I have a copy of the NER's 1919 "General Directions Relating to Merchandise Traffic" (everything you ever wanted to know about demurrage, standage, and how to load a traction engine).

Also a 1906 NER publication, "Local and Interchange Privilege Tickets - Fares from Newcastle and Other Principal Stations" (Newcastle to Grosmont: 3s 1d).

And the LNER "Instructions to Station Masters and other Staff engaged in the Examination and Collection of Tickets" from 1927 - including guidance on how to deal with Theatrical and Music Hall Artistes travelling in a superior class of carriage.

I also have W.P.Allen's autograph in a 1943 bound set of "Locomotive Journal" - not strictly LNER (Locomotive Journal is the periodical of http://www.aslef.org.uk/), but W.P.Allen was of course commemorated by one of the Peppercorn A1s.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
John B
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Little LNER Treasures

Post by John B »

Bullhead, I too have many small and unusual LNER papers.
Like two LNER ticket irregularity report forms, I have other forms too somewhere but cannot locate them right now. I do have a substantial collection of NER luggage labels - with names on them like CROOK, LEAMSIDE, AYSGARTH, BALDERSBY, BOOSBECK, AYCLIFFE, BURTON SALMON, BEAMISH, ANNFIELD PLAIN, SHOTLEY BRIDGE, COUNDON, RIPON, COCKFIELD, LOFTUS, WILLINGTON, COWTON, CRAKEHALL, EAST HARTLEPOOL, GLAISDALE, SEATON CAREW, BEVERLEY, KILDALE, THIRSK AND GARFORTH. They look as though they all came from Yarm station.

PLUS, I forgot about the LNER stamped gate top lamp, (it fits inside the red eyed outer lamp) I "found" this in a gate a year after the line was closed.

Also the locomotive headlamp (the inner lamp) off a Q6. I took this myself from Q6 63366 as she waited for scrapping at Dairycoats in Hull all those years ago. She still had the firemans shovels on board, it just broke my heart to see them abandoned like that and didn't have the heart or the nouse to take anything substantial. I did get the whistle pull of this engine, it's really just a piece of rusty metal but I know its significance.

Richard, it's very many years since I went to the NRM so my answer to your question about the Gresley conjugated gear valve models is unfortunately no. It seems I have some intensive research to do when I next get over there :D
John B
Rachael1988
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: "Little LNER Treasures"

Post by Rachael1988 »

Hi John B

I was wondering whether the luggage label for Crakehall station you would ever sell? I live in the station and work for the Wensleydale Railway I am trying to put together an archive.

Thanks
Rachael
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Here's mine...
H7.jpg
Every casting is marked LNER.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

R. pike wrote:Every casting is marked LNER.
Out of curiousity R.P. where did the disc signal come from was it either from New Barnet North Box, Marshmoor, Hatfield Nos.1, 2 or 3, Welwyn Garden City, Welwyn North, Langley Junction, Hitchin South, Hitchin Yard, Cambridge Junction, Three Counties, Biggleswade (South) or Sandy or even st.Neots (South) maybe?.

Mickey
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

The disc is ex Whitemoor Junction. It is fitted with an 'on' buffer as it had a lot of weights to pull back several sets of mechanical detection. I do have some LNER ones too.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

R. pike wrote:The disc is ex Whitemoor Junction. It is fitted with an 'on' buffer as it had a lot of weights to pull back several sets of mechanical detection. I do have some LNER ones too.
Ok, I thought you mite say it was from the GE after I assumed it may have come off the GN?.

I had several items of interest myself over 40 years ago which at onetime included a complete semaphore distant signal from where it came from I can't remember(?) I also had a wooden Midland Railway 'pegging' block instrument (I believe it was a Midland block anyway which JH may still have in his possession) a single stroke block bell (I vaguely recall it came from Ferme Park South Down box when a friend and myself visited the then closed box back in 1971 thats also when we picked up those 6 levers out of the box as well that many years later you came across) plus three s/box name boards along with several other bits & pieces like lever badges, a lever collar, two block shelf signal indicators one of the L.M.R. type of a home signal arm and the other of the E.R. type of a weight bar indication along with a few old train register books.

Mickey
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

I have a few bits and pieces, all relating to my interest/obsession for the NER in the First World War, and one is very recent.

First off are my small - but growing - collection of NER Magazines from the First World War

NER roll of honour from 1919 (but not complete as the total number of those killed wasn't fully known for a couple more years)

1914 NER version (basically just says NER instead of GWR) of the GWR's 'Safety Movement' booklet issued to try and cut down the amount of accidents on the railways

NER enamel 'railway service' badges issued to men working on the NER to be worn when not at work to show they were still on vital war work even though not in the armed services, and likewise copies of the varnished cotton armbands worn previously to the issue of the badges

The newest one, and this really was one of those chance finds that involved so many coincidences I wonder if it could be fate, is a copy of the 1918 'The Allotment Year' published by the NER Land Cultivation Committee. This small book was written by John Howe and is basically a guide to running an allotment, and containers recipes for food grown on allotments, part of the NER's huge drive to increase use of allotments on NER land following the U-boat offensive from 1917 onwards which led to food shortages
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask