residence sign

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

stationmaster
GNR J52 0-6-0T

residence sign

Post by stationmaster »

was browsing the auction catalogues and found a lner door plate titled RESIDENCE. does anybody know where this was used , would it have been used on the station masters house normally found nearby the station ??
ninjaboy750
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Re: residence sign

Post by ninjaboy750 »

Sounds about right yeah.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Usually at a crossing keepers house or maybe as above.
stationmaster
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by stationmaster »

Thanks for info
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I know it's a pretty rare plate, more so if in unrestored regional colours.
stationmaster
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by stationmaster »

I think it was painted black and white , it was just in a recent auction, noticed it whilst browsing , I like cast iron signs and try to buy them when I see them cheap
Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by Copley Hill 56C »

Hi Stationmaster, I know from other posts that you have an interest in LNER Doorplates. I have a few myself, including one or two which I think are quite rare. I saw you were wondering if there was a list of which ones were made and used, I have never seen anything to this effect. Also bear in mind that there are ones frequently popping up on EbAY, which can be sometimes quite dodgy. Anyway here is a list of mine, all bought fro reputable sources.
STATION MASTER, LAMPS, TICKETS, PRIVATE, YARD FOREMAN, BOOKING OFFICE, GENERAL WAITING ROOM, PORTERS, WEIGH OFFICE, GENTLEMEN,
BOOKING HALL, SHUNTERS, LADIES WAITING ROOM, BONDED STORES, and SCRAP.
I know that the VCT museum has a good number of others in their museum, as does the NRM at York. Hope this helps
Alan