Rowntree Sidings Fawdon

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

plugcoupler
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Rowntree Sidings Fawdon

Post by plugcoupler »

Attached is an image of an engine which worked as part of Rowntrees at Fawdon, Newcastle on Tyne.

Can anyone tell me more about the engine's, it says no3 or the working of the siding.
Attachments
11026221_10153235035538320_506607288684944259_n.jpg
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Re: Rowntree Sidings Fawdon

Post by Seagull »

I can tell you from the makers plate it is a Ruston & Hornsby diesel, but I don't know what type. Ruston & Hornsby

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

The loco in question may be this one.
Newbridge Mar 15a.jpg
Newbridge Mar 15b.jpg
Shown here along with another shunter from DSRM in Darlington.

If you want to buy it, it is up for disposal as no one has taken any interest in it for many years.
It was still at Newbridge yard yesterday.
Both number 2 and 3 were initially at York.
2 went to Fawdon in the 70's followed by 3 in 1979
Both are Ruston Hornsby class 88DM
Number 3 is now believed to be the Middleton railway since 1988
Seagull
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'
Location: Between a cheap railway station and a ploughed field

Post by Seagull »

Following in from Bryan's post here is a couple more bits of information;-
88DS
Doc Brown/Shildon

Alan
Playing trains, but trying to get serious
plugcoupler
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by plugcoupler »

Thankyou all. thats a great help.
Augustus
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Augustus »

First post here as a new member and some info if it is still relevant to plugcoupler...

The loco you ask about is currently based at the DVLR (Derwent Light Valley Railway) Murton and is running for the first time since around 2007.
It was on a hit list in July 2013 while based at Shildon (although owned by the North Yorkshire Moors Railway and, by agreement loaned to Shildon) and was about to join the scrapheap.

Glynnis and Tony Frith bought the loco for the DVLR (although I wish I could have bought it - and you'll find out why later). Over a BBQ Glynnis found the hit list on her mobile and said to her husband they should buy and save the loco as it was a part of Yorkshire Railway history. So they bought it.

No.3 (Ruston & Hornsby 441934) was delivered to Rowntree, York, in 1960 before being transported by road to Rowntree, Fawdon, in 1980. When all railway works were stopped in 1987 at that factory she and Rowntree No.2 (an identical loco) were given to the NYMR.

No.3 did not go to the NYMR (unlike No.2 which was apparently at Grosmont on the NYMR and in a very poor state. I think that she will be scrapped soon (if not already done) and the DVLR hoped to get some spares from it before that happened. No.2 did the work at Rowntree, Fawdon, before No.3 replaced her.) but, instead, went to the Middleton Railway, Leeds where she saw passenger service. In 2006 No.3 was taken to Shildon where she was in working order on arrival. However, some time in 2007-2008, someone went to use her only to find the cab door window and the cab door handle broken and the levers in the cab had all been moved. Then, of course, it would not start so was just left to stand in that state.

These words are from an email I received (from co-owner Glynnis Frith, although edited but the main thrift of the message remains) telling me all about the current work being done, after the time of purchase, on the loco to restore it to full working order...

"The reason for her not running was down to fuel starvation and having a blocked fuel filter and blocked fuel pipes... No.3 is out of action at the moment because we are doing a full maintenance programme on her which, as you can imagine, has been long overdue. So far all radiator hoses have been replaced after giving the whole system a flush out to get rid of all the years of gunge built up. The fuel tank has had the same done to it. We are now on with the engine oil which is drained down, oil pump and oil filters housing are removed and we had to have oil filters made for us as these are no longer available, which cost a lot but will be worth it. It's hoped to have No.3 in service pulling passenger trains this coming season which starts in April. We need to also fit vacuum brakes before this so a bit to do yet. No.3's livery is the same and has been cleaned and T-cut and polished."

Now, why do I know all this? Well, I lived just a few yards away from the lines at the factory and watched, almost every day Monday to Friday, the operations of this little beauty along with its usual Class 31 main line loco (although others were used like 37's for example) pulling the haul of sweets from that area to York... things like Smarties for example. I got to know the guard a little and also spoke to some of the drivers of the main loco. No-one was allowed inside the factory gates, not even the main line loco and nor was the shunter allowed on the main line (but it did get there). I was actually born in the house I lived at for 23 years and was brought up walking along that track (now a Metro line) to Fawdon shops and Gosforth, not to mention the other way, west, to the airport.

Watching all this going on gave me the idea to build a layout for this siding which will be based in the early to mid seventies (when No.2 did the work) and I have a recently released kit ready to build for the Rowntrees shunter which will afford me some pride as I complete the layout and model.

I will get to the DVLR soon and will once more lay eyes on a fabulous loco and will picture the scene in Fawdon where she graced those grounds of the factory for a few momentous years and will, of course, remember the former engine, No.2, whose number will be placed rather carefully on the model when built.

Check out the site for information and photographs... http://dvlr.org.uk