Wood Green -Hornsey

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Wood Green -Hornsey

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Looking at some new(ish) aerial photographs of the area, I noticed a few new buildings on former railway sidings, the first to be noticed was that of the old "Sand yard" at Wood Green, a large looking building or buildings, the caption said it was a 'High school' !!! seems very close to the running lines.?

The other was a large building on the site of the Hornsey Up Carriage sidings, anyone have any idea what it is, please.

Also noticed, that the sweet factory (Barretts) has gone and possibly the Wood Green swimming baths, not much left of my youthful memories left.

manna

Edit-- It would appear that the Car Park, is on the site of the Sand yard, the High school is on the site of the old Coronation shed...shame :)
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Wood Green -Hornsey

Post by 60526 »

Seem to remember that there used to be a builders yard on the east up side just past WG Stn, where the sand yard was? I'm not into modern image but that building past the school on the old Hornsey up carriage siding must be something to do with the Thameslink plans perhaps, it looks just like the new buildings down at Three Bridges, in passing to the BRM Ally Pally Exbn the other months it was already in use. It's good that we still have memories perhaps, I can still remember the sand siding, coronation shed, sidings, Hornsey station and shed etc just at the end of steam and into blue diesel.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

A2 60526 Sugar Palm at Wood Green.jpg
EE Deltic at Wood Green.jpg
I don't know if you wanted to add photos to your thread but a couple at Wood Green on a banana sandwich and soup day I think, we weren't wanted in the house during the holidays.
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

The signals to the left of the Deltic was Wood Green Up Box No.4 Up fast line home signal and the distant signal beneath it was Hornsey No.2 Up fast line outter distant signal the inner distant signal for Hornsey No.2 was beneath Wood Green Up Box No.4 Up fast line starting signal situated about midway between Wood Green & Hornsey stations.

Alexandra Palace?. No way it will always be Wood Green.
Last edited by 9001 St Paddy on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Nice pics. you can never go wrong posting pics of trains and Wood Green, got any more ?? :D

So how dose this Thameslink (thingie) get to Three Bridges, surely there not going to reopen York Rd, that would be far to easy !!

manna
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

manna wrote:So how dose this Thameslink (thingie) get to Three Bridges, surely there not going to reopen York Rd, that would be far to easy !
You never know manna after Kings Cross PSB is closed and demolished they may re-instate the old route from Belle Isle through Gasworks tunnel eastern bore then through the old York Road station platform then on down to the Kings Cross LT Junction anything is possible.

Mickey a Kings Cross secondman 1974-75 .
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Re-opening York Rd and Hotel curve would make for some interesting workings.

manna
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Ally Pally was only a reference to the exhibition. Photos - these were Box Brownie and probably developed by Gratispool, so not very good quality I am afraid. Hornsey to Three Bridges. If you look at the north end of the KX-StP Thameslink platforms there is the central tunnel for the Bedford line and 2 sets of points, a tunnel goes off to the left on the down side, another tunnel comes in from the right on the up side, these two lines link up with the junction that was added recently near Belle Island, so you'll be able to go direct from Brighton to Peterborough, Cambridge, Kings Lynn etc.
9F 2-10-0 at Wood Green.jpg
See what I mean
60031 at Wood Green.jpg
61393 at Wood Green.jpg
A3 at Wood Green.jpg
Inidentified A3
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

A few more
Brush Type 4 D1507 at Wood Green.jpg
D1507
D208 at Wood Green.jpg
D208
D399 at Wood Green.jpg
D399
D5905 at Wood Green.jpg
D5905
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

EE Baby Deltic at Wood Green.jpg
EE Type 3 at Wood Green.jpg
WD 2-8-0 at Wood Green.jpg
Well some good, some bad, not sure about the date but no yellow ends and there is a photo of 60054 Prince of Wales somewhere with German Smoke deflectors. I can still remember, everything was quiet and then you'd hear the bells going in the box, a pulling of levers, the pointer on the box at the end of the ramp would change, something approaching, the rails would start singing a tune and it's there and gone, ringing of bells, levers, all quiet, until the next time. Brilliant.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Some wonderful evocative pics there, but the one picture that surprised me was the Brush 4 D1507, that is the Only picture I have ever seen of a Brush 4 without a yellow warning panel, it also seems to be in all over dark green, any more info !!

manna
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Brush type 4, sounds a lot better than class 47, I'd never recognised the significance of the photo without the yellow ends, and you are right it doesn't look like it is 2 tone either. I've asked my brother if he can remember this and he has drawn a blank as well. It was out to good old 34G Finsbury Park in January 1963, so probably was not in this livery for too long. Makes me wonder if they went out initially on the main line unfinished because delivery was late and returned to Loughborough after a proving period, seem to remember that they did have a few problems when new. Meanwhile I'll have to see if we still have the negative. Also noticed the horse box sitting on the dock behind the WD. Perhaps I'll put this up on the dark side and see if I get any sensible responses.
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

60526 wrote:Brush type 4, sounds a lot better than class 47
I agree 60526 i still call them Brush type 2s & Brush type 4s rather than class 31s & class 47s myself i've never really called them by there class. From memory i only remember people calling those locos class 31s & class 47s as well as the English Electric type 4s as class 40s when the TOPS re-numbering came in around 1974 prior to that year i don't remember them being referred to by anyone as class 31s or class 47s and even the Deltics were still called Deltics and not class 55s virtually until there end in the late 1970s when subsequently people started referring to them as class 55s, except by me.

That EE type 4 looks like it's working the afternoon 'Scotch goods' along the Down fast line.
Last edited by 9001 St Paddy on Fri Jun 12, 2015 8:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
9001 St Paddy
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 9001 St Paddy »

60mph through Wood Green on the Down fast line on the down 'Cambridge buffet' with a Brush 2 on the front with 7 or 8 Mk1s and a Gresley buffet car in the train behind the loco and the needle wouldn't go above 60mph until you was on the 'down side' of Hawkshead summit (north of Potters Bar) heading through Brookmans Park towards Marshmoor.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

For entertainment you might have a class 31 with overnight sleeper stock stopped by the signal gantry at the approach to WG on the down side and then it would gradually make it's way up to the station and I assume when the driver saw that the hertford loop signal was off would let rip and up and over the bridge to Bowes Park.
Have had a couple of replies on the dark side to the question of livery for D1507, by using some clever dicky software it seems that it does have a yellow front and is two tone. I don't know if the original negative still exists, but will try and find it.
If we can extent the thread to New Southgate, a couple more photos, can't do anything about the quality but that is how it was then.
60022 Mallard at New Southgate.jpg
60022 Mallard
60513 Dante at New Southgate.jpg
60513 Dante
D0280 Falcon at New Southgate.jpg
Falcon
From memory the developer was Gratispool, we probably only used them once.