Wood Green -Hornsey

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Wood Green -Hornsey

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

By all means include New Southgate, in the 'Falcon' picture, there's an interesting coach.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

Wonder what the Pullman with Falcon is? Master Cutler, no nameboard though? No more photos of Southgate but at Finsbury Park
D9001 at Finsbury Park.jpg
D9001 without nameplates at Finsbury Park
60107 Gay Crusader at Kings Cross.jpg
60107 Gay Crusader at KX
D9018 Ballymoss at Kings Cross.jpg
D9018 Ballymoss at Kings Cross.jpg (7.8 KiB) Viewed 6456 times
D9018 at KX
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

60526 wrote: " For entertainment you might have a class 31 with overnight sleeper stock stopped by the signal gantry at the approach to WG on the down side and then it would gradually make it's way up to the station and I assume when the driver saw that the hertford loop signal was off would let rip and up and over the bridge to Bowes Park. .... "
Once No.3 Box had become non-operational (1965?) and No.1 took over the remaining signals at the north end of the Down platforms, it was often practice for ECS trains for Bounds Green that, unless they were seen/known to be short, to minimise risk of stalling on the bank up to the flyover, they would be held at the gantry near No.1 Box until accepted by Bounds Green box and the No.1 signalman knew he was able to clear the Hertford line signal at the platform-end : But when those north end signals were still worked by No.3, I suppose it wasn't so easy for No.1 to know when his No.3 mate was going to have the requisite signal 'off'.
60526 wrote: " .... Have had a couple of replies on the dark side to the question of livery for D1507, by using some clever dicky software it seems that it does have a yellow front and is two tone. ... "
Dunno about it having been found to be two-tone after all, but with the cabside "D1507" and the headcode panel's "4..." so easily seen and readable, I find it very hard to believe that it also had a yellow warning panel in this photo.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Good Day All, seeing those grainy black and white pictures prompted me to dig out some relevant 120 negs taken with a Kodak 120 camera with a fixed shutter speed around a 60th at best I guess. These were taken at Harringay around 1959/60 with one at King's Cross just to show that a decent image was possible with stationary objects. Got a few more around New Barnet and Top Shed when I was working there and a lot around Durham and Newcastle which I'll have to save for another time. Unfortunately as previously, they all suffer from the basic equipment of the time.
A4 60010
A4 60010
A1 60144 or possibly 60154
A1 60144 or possibly 60154
Unidentified A3
Unidentified A3
A4 60030 platform 7
A4 60030 platform 7
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Was there a slight summit in Harringay West station?.

Going down road the gradient appears to fall slightly either in or just beyond the station platform ends towards Hornsey station?.

Mickey
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

Hi Mickey, yes the gradient falls at 1 in 264 just north of Harringay to a point just beyond Hornsey where the gradient rises to 1 in 200.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Hermit 109 wrote:Hi Mickey, yes the gradient falls at 1 in 264 just north of Harringay to a point just beyond Hornsey where the gradient rises to 1 in 200.
Thanks for the confirmation Hermit i had a feeling there was a slight summit just north of Harringay West station.

The old b&w photographs look more realistic to my eyes strangely?.

There appears to be quite a number of photgraphs taken at Harringay West station in steam days going back to GNR days.

Mickey
bill_gensheet
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by bill_gensheet »

manna wrote:G'day Gents

So how dose this Thameslink (thingie) get to Three Bridges, surely there not going to reopen York Rd, that would be far to easy !!

manna
(new money)
Diverge as if to the North London Incline and then descend into St Pancras low level with a burrowing junction

(old money)
Diverge into Kings Cross Goods and descend to pick up the Midland's Moorgate / Widened lines branch under St Pancras.

Not York Rd / Hotel curve, although I have just noticed talk of restoring the 6 track approach into Kings Cross.

Bill
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

I have noticed a few threads about the ECML here and I thought you might be interested to know that if you search for "Talisman Railwayana Auctions" Lot 296 in their 1st August auction is a pair of GNR Running Lines diagrams for 1911 and 1914. I would post a link but think I may get told off. They are not my items , I just noticed them in the catalogue which they still send me even though I gave up collecting several years ago.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Thanks for that information..........strange how the ER trains have to access the Midland running lines to get down the 'drain' when Kings Cross had it's own line and a purpose built station. :?

I am assuming that the stock is longer now and would hit the side wall in York Rd tunnel.....How long is a Cl 31, they made it down there without to much trouble.

manna

PS, I've given up collecting to, takes up to much room.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I visited Ally Pally (Alexandra Palace) one day during the summer of 1964 and i vaguely recall looking down from that vantage point towards the railway and i believe i vaguely recall seeing a 'steamer' pulling an express train running along the Down fast line from Hornsey towards Wood Green.

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Hi, Micky, Yes you would have got a good view over the railway line from up there, saw many an express from up there, couldn't see the numbers though, on a good day you could see the flyover the other side of Hornsey station, 50 years on you can see the North Downs from Ally Pally, who would have thought it possible.

manna
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Yeah your right about the view manna from high up on the hill standing on the east side of Ally Pally you can see for miles up there looking across towards the east, south east, south & south west mass of London and beyond towards the southern horizon you can see the north downs as you say.

Also a great view looking down the hill of the G.N. main line from Wood Green looking southeast towards Hornsey with Hornsey carriage sidings as well also when i visited Ally Pally in 1964 it still had the miniture narrow guage railway running around the outside of the boating lake with a working narrow gauge A4 loco.

Mickey
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

I went on that miniature railway quite a few times in the 50s, as we had relatives near there we used to visit. You got two circuits for 6d or however much it was. The A4 wasn't steam, btw. But of course there was plenty of steam to be seen on the ECML back then. Then years later I actually lived at the bottom of the park, but there was no longer the miniature railway for the kids or main line steam for me.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

kudu wrote:I went on that miniature railway quite a few times in the 50s, as we had relatives near there we used to visit. You got two circuits for 6d or however much it was. The A4 wasn't steam, btw. But of course there was plenty of steam to be seen on the ECML back then. Then years later I actually lived at the bottom of the park, but there was no longer the miniature railway for the kids or main line steam for me.
Theres a whole topic thread that i started off about 5 years ago called Petrol Driven A4 kudu you mite have posted stuff on it?.

That Ally Pally narrow guage railway (to the mind of a child) was totally amazing i remember the station platform with a small engine shed with a set of points and a track leading into the shed a signal gantry with 3 or 4 signal arms and even a level crossing as well!.

That A4 loco was in B.R. green livery and to my eyes looked like the real thing ruddy brilliant!!.

Mickey