Flying Scotsman - 4472 and the service. (circa 1956-1963)

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Flying Scotsman - 4472 and the service. (circa 1956-1963)

Post by whitey »

I remember living near the East Coast Main Line circa 1956-1963.
I know that the Flying Scotsman service used this line as indeed it still does.Can anyone tell me what trains pulled the Flying Scotsman service please. Did No.4472 pull it during any of this period. Also did the Mallard ever pull it. Here's hoping. Many thanks. Great site. :D
whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by whitey »

8) Not to worry.Just got quite a few names so I'm sorted.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

During the period you required, Flying Scotsman was unlikely to have been seen on The Flying Scotsman, as it lost it's Corridor Tender very Early on, but yes Mallard would have been on at this time.

The Flying Scotsman was just one of many trains running up and down, each day, and it ran both ways, at 10:00 from Kings Cross and Waverley.
By Mark t
(now known as silver fox)
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Steve
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Steve »

x568wcn wrote:During the period you required, Flying Scotsman was unlikely to have been seen on The Flying Scotsman, as it lost it's Corridor Tender very Early on, but yes Mallard would have been on at this time.

The Flying Scotsman was just one of many trains running up and down, each day, and it ran both ways, at 10:00 from Kings Cross and Waverley.
Would the Flying Scotsman (train) have required a corridor tender loco at this time? The 'non stop' had become the 'Elizabethan' and it was only the non stop that required a corridor tender, as far as I'm aware. All other trains stopped to, at least, change crews.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

Then it wasn't The Flying Scotsman!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
whitey
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by whitey »

:roll: Thanks very much for the information gentlemen. I want a good clean fight ... two falls or one submission to decide the winner!

I'm clear about the Mallard.Always reminded me of a sports car on rails.
And the Flying Scotsman (4472) may or may not (but erring on may not)
have pulled the service at this time.
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

First point: the Flying Scotsman wasn't non-stop in BR days. My NER 1955 summer timetable shows it stopping at Newcastle for 6 minutes in both directions. My ER 1959 summer timetable also shows this but doesn't say for how long.

Second point: I'll leave it to others to say whether or not 6 minutes is long enough to take water and change crews.
x568wcn
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by x568wcn »

The only engines that pulled the non-stop Elizabethan, were the A4s, even the deltics that pulled it for one year, had at least one stop!
By Mark t
www.yorksteam.co.uk
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

I'd like to add that in my years of 'spotting at various locations within easy reach of Lincoln (Doncaster, Retford, Tuxford and Grantham) the only reliable way of seeing a Haymarket A4 or other Pacific was on The Elizabethan (always an A4).

While I'm talking about my personal recollection events of about 50 years ago, I'd bet a pound to a penny that the Flying Scotsman actually changed locos at Newcastle.
Steve
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Steve »

Pyewipe Junction wrote:
Second point: I'll leave it to others to say whether or not 6 minutes is long enough to take water and change crews.
ix minutes is ample to change crews (and locos, if necessary). I doubt that they'd take water; that's what the water troughs were for.