Visiting the NYMR

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Visiting the NYMR

Post by Rlangham »

I'm relocating to Durham in early October, and hoping to visit the NYMR 'properly' for the first time (did have a rather quick visit for a wartime weekend years ago but didn't manage the whole line), hoping to coincide with when the Q6 is in operation. Does anyone have any recommendations about which bits not to miss or make the extra effort to try and see, or just general recommendations on how best to manage my time there? Basic plan is to start at Grosmont for the first train of the day, would ideally like to travel the whole line but include a stop off at Whitby for an hour or two. Hopefully the runaround time at Pickering will be enough to quickly admire the overall roof and gift shop

Cheers, Rob
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Re: Visiting the NYMR

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

my recommendation for what its worth is to turn up and enjoy whatever is happening! As an avid LNER steam follower I have got to admit my best ever visit to the line was in winter when my Pickering to Grosmont trip was hauled by some box called a Class 24. It meant I simply paid the infrastructure and scenery more attention than the loco for a change. Of course whatever you miss this time round you will be returning time and again...just wish I lived nearer than Stafford. Have a grand day out. Eric
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Durham is close enough to be a regular visitor!

A ride in Gresley BTK is a must, as will be a journey in Thompson TK 1623 very soon. Visits during every season are recommend to enjoy the changing colours of the natural landscape.

I suspect you'll want to have at least one trip out next March, for reasons that will become apparent closer to the time. You'll probably also enjoy a steam hauled service to Battersby up the Esk Valley when we occasionally run them.

The NYMR is very habit forming.

Sawdust.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Another one here awaiting 1623. It's worth sticking your head round the door of the carriage shed at Pickering as well. Always something interesting to see and (in my experience) quoting the diagram number of the carriage they're working on gets you a very warm welcome and a tour.

At the moment it's ECJS 189 which is fascinating in itself.
LNER4479
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by LNER4479 »

Allow an hour (min) for the walk down to the loco sheds at Grosmont - the walk through the original tunnel of the horsedrawn Whitby & Pickering railway is an experience in itself.

Another nice little 'diversion' is to get off the train at Goathland (having enjoyed the thrash up the bank) then take the footpath leading straight off the north end of the platform you've just arrived off. That'll bring you out at the popular Darnholme bridge viewing spot. Stay there to enjoy the sight of the next one coming up the bank then pick up the footpath from there down the original rope-worked incline and onto the footpath from Beck Hole back to Grosmont along the route of the original railway (fine weather day only!)

I agree that you'll need several visits to fully appreciate the whole line - there's too much to do in a day.
(recreating pre-war Grantham in model form http://www.lner.info/forums/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=9076.
Forthcoming exhibition appearances: Newcastle (Nov 2023); York (Easter 2024); Bristol (May 2024)
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Have you visited the line yet Rob? if so what did you make of it? What was good & bad? I'd be keen to hear your views. Thanks
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Haven't visited yet unfortunately, although will post up after I do
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask