Northern Heights, track plans 1940

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Northern Heights, track plans 1940

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

I thought this may be of interest to some members, it is the track plans LT, of the Northern Heights in 1940.

http://www.harsig.org/PDF/NorthernExtensions.pdf Hope it works.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Mickey

Re: Northern Heights, track plans 1940

Post by Mickey »

An interesting diagram manna thanks.

The closed East Finchley s/box still stands beside the northbound line just beyond the station platform.

Park Junction s/box was the largest s/box on the northern line and opened on 30th July 1939 and closed on 25th March 1984.

Park Junction box contained a 83 lever Westinghouse 'N' type miniture lever frame of 83 levers of the following levers-

45 Point levers, 23 Signal levers, 10 Route levers, 3 Calling On signal levers & 2 Spare levers.

Mickey keeping alive one of the old Finsbury Park s/box names. :wink:
Horsetan
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Horsetan »

Fascinating. I have signalling diagrams for Mill Hill (The Hale), Edgware and all stations to Bushey Heath.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I happen to be on East Finchley station the other day and looking south along platform no.3 you can look along the slightly rising double track section of line towards the Wood sidings & Park Junction area although about 300 yards further south of platforms nos.2 & 3 the double track section goes into a single line towards the distant sidings anyway it's always a bit odd standing on platform no.3 at East Finchley station (as well as platform no.2) both 2 fully working platforms that never sees any daily passenger carrying tube trains?.

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Horsetan are they the LT signalling diagrams or the GN/LNER diagrams, ( I suspect the LT,) as you said 'all stations to Bushey Heath

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Looking at Woodside Park, I don't see the (GN?) signal box at the north end of the down platform. I thought it was still there as a storage shed of some sort today.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

giner wrote:Looking at Woodside Park, I don't see the (GN?) signal box at the north end of the down platform. I thought it was still there as a storage shed of some sort today.
If, as I believe, this LT signalling was what demoted Woodside Park from full signal box status, and either straight, or subsequently, to non-operational use, it would probably have been deliberately left off the diagrams, as irrelevant to signalling/operating.

Incidentally, wasn't it Woodside Park that (40 years ago anyway) still had not only an Edwardian-era GN box structure a little way north of the Northbound platform, but also the small, earlier, box structure (very much like the one on High Barnet's westernmost platform) on the north end of the Northbound platform (both being non-operational)?

And last time I travelled the line, I think a GN box structure also still stood on the Down cess side, close to, or just north of, the north end of the Northbound platforms island at East Finchley?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

You got me thinking now, Stevie (a feat in itself :lol: ). For the life of me, I can't recollect any other structure or part structure other than the old GN box - it's well beyond your meagre 40 years since I was around there. But I do seem to remember that the stairs up to the box started on the platform itself. Hard to call them a 'flight' of stairs, though, I believe it was only about three steps. It was a very small box. Quite quaint and picturesque in it's own way, though. I do hope it's been preserved, Google maps might be my friend. I'll have to have a snoop at East Finchley, too.

Cheers, giner :)