Mystery Girder at Millfield

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Mystery Girder at Millfield

Post by PinzaC55 »

I recently found this picture of Millfield station on the historicengland website. It's a photo I have never seen before and was taken between closure of the station in 1955 and closure of the signalbox in 1966, looking east towards Sunderland. What struck me as curious is the heavy girder stacked on the platform - I cannot understand what it was for ? It is the right profile for a turntable but the only nearby turntable was in Sunderland station sidings, and I can't think why it would be dumped here when it was taken out of use.There was no road access to this platform so it had to be brought by rail.
Any ideas ?

http://historicengland.org.uk/images-bo ... ard/383366

Incidentally the site is well worth trawling for railway photos in general.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Mystery Girder at Millfield

Post by Hatfield Shed »

It's a great thread title!

I can only see one end of the plate girder, and it does look somewhat like a turntable bridge component but looks a little deep; however there are plenty more engineered structures applicable to the heavy industry in the area which it might derive from. From the railway's own armoury of such kit, it could be a weight relieving cantilever beam for heavy load moves under a line possession. These had to be assembled around the load, using a 'breakdown' crane or two to move the 'kit of parts'.

I can imagine that the hardstanding of a convenient redundant station platform would be a good place to temporarily place such pieces. If that is what it is, my guess would be that it was on its way on or off the job, and this was a convenient location to place it while the job was underway.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Ah thanks that makes sense ! The local area was full of shipyards and engine works (not any more) and I know that some, notably Doxfords, often carried out of gauge loads. It seemed more logical to stick whatever-it-was in the sizeable yard just beyond the bridge but maybe that was part of the problem ?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Don't think it is likely to be from an out of gauge load.
The beam would probably have an end section parallel to the rail so it could slot in rather than being angled.

How far from South Dock shed is this station?
In the NERA publication Servicing the North Eastern Locos there is a mention of South Dock Sheds turntable girders being renewed in 1022.
Could this be either the new or old ones?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It is about 2 miles from South Dock. If the turntable was renewed in 1022 I am pretty sure it would be made of wood or wattle and daub :D It doesn't look remotely long enough (assuming we can see half of it) for South Dock.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

OOPs Fat fingers.
The book did mention a size of 42ft rather than a 60ft