Steam on shed

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

upney sidings
NBR J36 0-6-0

Steam on shed

Post by upney sidings »

It’s nearly four months since my last upload of steam images to my web gallery and it was high time to add some more. This latest selection is entirely of either on-shed or awaiting-scrapping shots all around mainland UK.

http://gallery62603.fotopic.net/c1400105.html

There are a few question marks over locations and perhaps you’ll come across something awry that you would like to see corrected.

There’s a wide range of locomotive types in this collection most of which I haven’t featured before but the masses of Irish and Isle of Wight material I have waiting will have to wait a bit longer as I want to concentrate on my road transport material for a while.

Rgds,

Mike M.
My collection of archive images: http://mikemorant.smugmug.com/
73D
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 73D »

Another great collection! Thank you for making these images available to view. There must be loads of great stuff hidden in private collections.

The picture of 60034 Lord Faringdon was interesting as it alerted me to the fact it was fitted with the early front vale guide late in life and was withdrawn in this condition. This is any area I am interested in, as I can’t find any books that mention this modification and why the front guides were re-designed and when. By redesigned I mean they are the same as the guides fitted behind the cylinder. As far as I can tell it seems to have been applied from 4462 onwards. The earlier members got the modifications when shopped, but a few didn’t receive this mod until after they were fitted with double chimneys!

Is 60034 the only locomotive to get this backward modification?

I imagine the A3s and V2s weren’t altered because the problem being solved only gave trouble at very high speed. Something to do with the dreaded valve over-run?