BC Junction near Selby.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

BC Junction near Selby.

Post by sss750 »

I've been wondering this for a good long while now and have never found the answer, the Mileposts on the Selby to Micklefield line are NER mileposts and say the reference is from "BC Jcn", the mileage increases from Selby so this junction must have been one in the Selby area, but on Quail maps and other references I've looked at to find what BC stands for, it seems to say everywhere that the mileage on this line is Measured from Selby South Junction, so I'm wondering if this junction was renamed at any time in the past? So does anyone have any idea where BC Jcn was?
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: BC Junction near Selby.

Post by sss750 »

map of the line
Attachments
image.jpg
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

sss750 wrote:I've been wondering this for a good long while now and have never found the answer, the Mileposts on the Selby to Micklefield line are NER mileposts and say the reference is from "BC Jcn", the mileage increases from Selby so this junction must have been one in the Selby area, but on Quail maps and other references I've looked at to find what BC stands for, it seems to say everywhere that the mileage on this line is Measured from Selby South Junction, so I'm wondering if this junction was renamed at any time in the past? So does anyone have any idea what BC Jcn was?
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Brayton Curve ?

There was a Selby Canal curve , are you sure it is a B ?
Oh and I know some Malton & Driffield railway mile posts were reused on the Burton Salmon to Ferrybridge line when the M&DR closed,are we sure these mile posts are original to this line ?
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Reused Border Counties?
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
sss750
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by sss750 »

It's definitely BC Jcn. Not sure if it's a reused one from another line. As not seen any others close up.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

52D wrote:Reused Border Counties?
Or Barnard Castle ?

It's rather unfortunate that I used to have an NER handbook which listed the names of all the branches and where the Zero posts were but I sold it years ago. I took a photo of Selby West signalbox in 1979 and it had a Zero post outside which I presume applied to the Selby Canal curve and the CW&SLR.
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

In the NERA Historical maps NE11 there is a reference to Barlby Junctions.
These being at the East end of what was BOCM with one branch continuing the ECML to York, another line going off to Market Weighton and the 3rd line to Hull.

Failing that Boldon Colliery :lol: