An Impossible Question?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

An Impossible Question?

Post by silverfox »

I am building a 5in B17
Have been in contact with the North British Loco Company archive to see if they have any plans or pictures of the main frames, esp under construction. Reason is i would like to see what thw bogie mudgaurds look like, have a fair idea but need confirmation.

So i sent off saying that the engines were built by them in 1928 and for the LNER

They have written back asking or the Lot number they were built under.. now if they dont know.....Who does

( Or are they being a bit lasy by not quickly looking through their list?)

so does anyone know, Yeadons and Green bible dont give any clues
Andy W

Re: An Impossible Question?

Post by Andy W »

I have the NBL order number for the first ten as L850.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

And if they need a date contract acceptance was 17th February 1928.
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Gents

an internet pint to each of you

Thanks

ron
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Dixie »

I was interested in the NB Loco drawings many years ago. At that time they were in the care on the Mitchell Library who were happy to provide me with general arrangement drawings, official photographs, details of shipment etc, if it were an overseas contract. Costs were very modest.

More recently I enquired about a GA for the LNE/BR Class K1. The drawings had moved on and are now with Glasgow University. Anyway the people I dealt with were not particularly helpful and the cost of a GA was about £75! I decided I would use other sources for my research! I do have a Catalogue Card for the B17 and note that the NBL Code Word was 'ARITHMANCY'. The card gives the usual brief dimensions and a left broadside photo of SANDRINGHAM.

I have just scanned through my Western/OPC list of LNE, and other drawings. which were microfilmed many years ago. I notice that:

- Drawing No 4/GW/7038/E is stated to be two cross sections of B17 Class Sandringham
- Drawing No 4/GW/9933/E is stated to be a GA of a 6 wheeled tender for Class B17.
- Drawing 4/GW 9934/E shows a plan of the tender.
- 4/GW/10164/E is also a GA of a B17 tender(and mentions that it is GE/LNE). 1930
- Drawing 4/GW/10166/E is described as a GA for passgr engine No 2800.
- Same prefixes etc No 10183 is a tender frame plan for Class B17.
- 10759 is stated to be a full rod and pipe arrgt of B17/3
- 12076 ditto Class B17, 1935
- 12077 Number plates. painting and lettering Class B17, 1935

The microfilms are held at NRM. I would suggest you pay a visit to them if you are interested in looking at any of these drawings. I have found that occasionally the catalogue entries are not always correct. At a cost, NRM will supply copies from the film and you are left to calculate the scale because they are not, of course, contact prints.

Another thought is that it may pay to contact the NRM Search Engine and enquire whether they have any original GAs which you could inspect.

Happy modelling!

Dixie
silverfox

Post by silverfox »

Thanks Dixie
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

Not sure that this will help, but I have a copy sheet 3 of a Stephenson & Co Drawing, but there are no real details of the mudguards, if there were any.
Also there is the Isinglass drawing No 305 still available..
I think from looking, and trying to check photos in Yeadon 5, the mudguards appear to be very similar to those on A1/3.
Seems logical that it is a similar bogie that the items were similar.

HTH

Paul