Location help requested

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

SirAnorak
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Location help requested

Post by SirAnorak »

Hi- I have just added four photos of J39 locos to the website -http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightb ... ndex.html- but have no idea where they might have been taken or which year. Any help would be much appreciated- I note what appears to be a river, lake or seaside behind No 2986 if that is any help??
Many thanks for all ideas and info supplied.
Best wishes
John
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Location help requested

Post by 52D »

Use this link www.southern-images.co.uk/lightbox/new_media/index I think the image of 64704 & 64854 is at Borough Gardens possibly the rest are Blaydon/Gateshead area.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

I am getting "HTTP 404 Not found" from 52D's link. So tried using a search for "J39" in the Lightbox page of www.southern-images.co.uk/ , and think I found the four images, on this URL : -
http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightb ... rch=SEARCH

Unfortunately I don't think I can help with any location info.; sorry.
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
John Palmer
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by John Palmer »

Ref.No. 2741-FNT-MF1515: I suggest that the south end of Aberdeen is the location of 2741’s picture. This engine was allocated to Ferryhill in 1929. The signals appear to be Caledonian, from the spectacle castings. Alongside are what may well be a pair of NB 6-wheel fish vans, often to be found at Aberdeen.

Ref.No. 34089-PT4d-T0906: 35089 602 Squadron is starting the climb to Exeter Central past Exeter West Box.

[Edit]
Sorry, 34089. Never were that many 'Packets'!

Seems likely you have two more shots of this particular train on your site, including one of the two Panniers banking at the rear.
[/Edit]
SirAnorak
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SirAnorak »

Thanks both for ideas and sorry about the link- it was correct originally but seems to have lost the html when copied. I think Scotland is probable. Any ideas where the 2-0-2 J39 was being overhauled. I believe it normally went to Darlington for shopping??
http://www.southern-images.co.uk/lightb ... index.html
Will sort out the extra MN!!
John
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Definitely on NER territory, the architecture and Q6 behind say that much. Really points up the Darlington design influence on the J38/39 classes.
andro
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by andro »

The tower above the tender and just to the left of the signal post is in the right spot and looks very much like the old Town House in the Castlegate in Aberdeen. The faint spike just above the highest part of the coal might be the top of the Mitchell Tower at Marischal College.

Andrew
SirAnorak
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SirAnorak »

Looks to definitely be Aberdeen then- many thanks.
I am still puzzled by the shed scene with 2986- I believe it was shedded at March and then Sheffield Neepsend in the years before renumbering. In the background is what appears to be water with buildings rising above as if the shed or sidings are right beside the sea or a river or lake etc. Seehttp://www.southern-images.co.uk/images ... j3nine.jpg Does that help anyone further??
John
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

I think 2986 might well be at Parkeston. What little there is to go on seems to fit. If I'm right, then the gable on the right would presumably be that of the straw shed.

D
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

Darryl,

Parkeston shed is a possible. If it is, the photographer is facing more or less due east, so is that Harwich in the distance?

Just checked with the images in BR steam MPDs, Eastern Region, by Paul Bolger, the photos of Parkeston shed on pages 14 and 15, show a very similar lamp post and water crane.

John
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Indeed, John,

If I'm right, then the stretch of water is Bathside Bay, with Harwich town beyond.

D
SirAnorak
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by SirAnorak »

Fantastic detective work guys- much appreciated.
Do we think 1436 is likely to be at Darlington?
Re 64704, Borough Gardens is the only suggestion so far. 64854 was shedded there from 1953-1959 then Gateshead and finally Sunderland. 64704 was at Gateshead until 1959 and then Sunderland likewise. Would 64704 have been likely to work to Borough gardens when based at Gateshead, or could the location be Gateshead or Sunderland when they were both shedded there??

Thanks for all ideas.
John