Station name suggestions

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Station name suggestions

Post by Graeme Leary »

Probably more a question for the Modelling sub forum but any ideas much appreciated. On my layout I am developing an 11 road marshalling yard with turntable and a single through line with stopping platform under a high stone wall with 'stepped' house 'backs' more or less against this high wall overlooking the goods yard. After the station this single line crosses a road and then into a tunnel - actually 'fake' but the impression is it heads off to 'who knows where'. This part of the layout is an extension of a (hopefully) typical Yorkshire industrial town with mills, brewery and other factory buildings and rows of both red brick and stone terraced houses (Metcalfe kits mainly).Does this description 'ring any bells' for a suggested LNER station name (but one that may also 'accommodate' the odd LMS train that may use the station.
Many thanks.
Graeme Leary
New Zealand
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Station name suggestions

Post by giner »

Maybe Masbrough, Rotherham. I think it had a mix of LNER/'Ell of a Mess' back in the day. Google up some old photos. Hope this helps.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Well well, giner thee and mesen must be singing from same hymn sheet. I was going to suggest Wicker Goods a former passenger station on the Sheffield to Rotherham line with a famous tunnel that linked the station to the GCR west of Victoria.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

Flamin' eck! You've got me on Wicker Goods (I'll have to do a bit of Google snooping myself on that one), but I thought about Masbro on a couple of counts. One, the mix of LNER/LMS, and two, the missus' family were from New York - pretty much all gone now. Anyway, no matter which location you end up with, it's sure to be a cracker in your capable hands. Good luck!
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

Wicker Goods? Fantastic place, if the photos I've seen are representative. Have a look at these.

You will need to have registered to zoom in, but it's worth it.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

There's so many nicely characteristic names with essence of Yorkshireness available in that vicinity. I'd go for something fictional packing in the name elements I liked: Rawborough upon Dearne (Greascar Goods). Sithee, I'll just fetch flat cap and t' whippets...
Bedders
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by Bedders »

May I suggest Denley Moor or Barnstoneworth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... s_episodes
Danby Wiske
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Danby Wiske »

Bedders wrote:May I suggest Denley Moor or Barnstoneworth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... s_episodes
If we carry on along these lines there'll be trouble at mill...
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

How about, " Rawcliffe upon Don"?
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by giner »

^ Very Yorks, that.
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Danby Wiske wrote:
Bedders wrote:May I suggest Denley Moor or Barnstoneworth? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_R ... s_episodes
If we carry on along these lines there'll be trouble at mill...
You will find that 'Trouble at Mill' was a Monty Python sketch featuring the late, great Graham Chapman.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JLDVIViWW74
Graeme Leary
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by Graeme Leary »

As a Colonial I'm just rapt in the responses you lot have sent in (and I too am a Monty Python fan so 'trouble at t' mill' is very familiar). I have travelled this hypothetical path before (ie station names) before and as I grew up just out of New Zealand's capital (Wellington) in a little seaside town named Plimmerton - nothing at all like Yorkshire with the possible exception of Staithes) - I might just have to dream up a series of names with 'ton' tacked on the end. Therefore my 'main' (town centre) station might just become 'Batton' (ie Batley as both LNER and LMS ran though on adjoining platforms - even though I don't have the 2 viaducts as originally); my rural Dales setting station ' Haweston (Hawes in Wensleydale bastardised); and the one that started all this, possibly 'Marston' - to do homage to my grandfather who emigrated from Marsden just south of Huddersfield to New Zealand in the late 19th century.
Thanks to you all and some good google leads that were very interesting to follow up.
Graeme