Last day of steam working of Hull-Liverpool service, 31/12/60: B1 locos rostered that day?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

2750Pytchley
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Last day of steam working of Hull-Liverpool service, 31/12/60: B1 locos rostered that day?

Post by 2750Pytchley »

I have recently rediscovered a file of 35mm negatives of photographs which I took at Selby on New Year's Eve 1960/1 (31.12.60) including two of the last steam workings on the Hull-Leeds-Liverpool service. Both trains (as they almost always were) were worked by B1's, but it was a grey, cold, misty day and I can positively identify only one of the two locos involved. This was 61038 Blacktail on the 11.00 a.m. Liverpool-Hull, at Selby at 1.47, but the number of the loco in charge of the 2.02 pm from Hull is unreadable through the mirk, and my notebooks from that era have long since disappeared. Can anyone help with the number of the B1 which worked the 2.02 Hull-Liverpool (and also of a grimy B1 on what must have been the 11.42 York-Lincoln and Eastern counties through train, photographed in a rear 3/4 shot at Selby at 12.02). It's a long shot, I know, at this passage of time (55 years: alas, I was much younger then). 31.12.60 was a historic day for the Hull-Liverpool service, so there may be someone out there with the information, although I don't recall any other photographers active that day at Selby. Any information would be very gratefully received. Many thanks.