George Hudson

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sniffer
H&BR Q10 0-8-0

George Hudson

Post by Sniffer »

Sad circumstances but the old villain has been vindicated (a little) this evening.

Taddy has been cut in two as the bridge over the Wharfe has collapsed into the river. :(

Folk are having to use the "anachronism " as a pedestrian route to keep in touch with kith and kin.

Keep safe people of brewery town. :( & God bless.
Re-open the Leeds Northern northwards !
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: George Hudson

Post by 52D »

Thought the same thing earlier.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

It would have been quite ironic if it had been closed and demolished during the Beeching era.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I guess the Archbishop of York wasn't aware of the bridge - he was calling for REME to come in a put a temporary bridge in.

Wasn't too far away when it happened - very close to the next road bridge upstream in Boston Spa. I was tempted to walk down to look at the river, but I was carrying a baby at the time!

The Linton bridge just upstream from Wetherby has also suffered badly. Hard to find information, but it sounds like much of the river bed around the central pier has been washed out, resulting it subsiding.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Greedy Boards
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by Greedy Boards »

Not sure who started the request for REME to assist, but they are only Royal Engineers Made Easy (REME), and deal with all things Mechanical and Electrical.

If you want a bridge putting in, then that would be Royal Engineers (RE), much more civil, and very constructive in their approach.

I now take cover behind the Chatham ramparts, from any retaliatory responses made from the Arborfield fraternity.

Regards

Greedy Boards
North Eastern Matters
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Sorry that could be my memory at play there - Royal Engineers of course :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

My West Yorkshire correspondent tells me he doesn't know what all the fuss is about in Taddy, as the A64 bypass bridge remains available. (Scale of relative problem: one of his significant clients operates from premises near Hebden Bridge, and has effectively been in the river.)
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

There is the A64 but it is not exactly pedestrian friendly (and a long walk detour).
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia