Pour yourself a nice one sit back and enjoy

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

silverfox
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Pour yourself a nice one sit back and enjoy

Post by silverfox »

Coutesy of another forum

A lot of possible discussion points

Have a good 2016

http://movingimage.nls.uk/film/2731
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Pour yourself a nice one sit back and enjoy

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

It's interesting how many wooden goods wagons were still around in the early 1960s.

Is it my my imagination, or were Scottish engines generally kept cleaner than English ones?

Looks like 1 x V2 = 2 x Class 5!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Posted this one a couple of months ago look for Earl Marischal
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Pyewipe Junction wrote:...Is it my my imagination, or were Scottish engines generally kept cleaner than English ones?

Looks like 1 x V2 = 2 x Class 5!
There's plenty of evidence from various staff memoirs in the BR period of the extreme difficulty in recruiting and retaining sufficient cleaning staff at many UK locations where choices in local employment opportunity were good. Famously KX managed by recruiting a team of Poles under Dick Ball, and as a small boy at the time I quite seriously thought that whereas the ECML express locos were green and shiny and magnificent, those of the nearby LMR Midland and WCML routes were intentionally finished in that interesting all over grey-brown tone. I simply do not recall a clean loco going through Snorbens or Watford!

Once the locomotive coal quality position really became difficult during and after WWII, the advantage of a loco with 50% more grate area - at no cost to coal consumption in service on equivalent duty - became very apparent as there was 50% more power available for any given grade of coal in the bunker. The double heading that I recall as endemic on the LMR a clear indicator of the faulty motive power thinking that had reigned on the LMS. The LMS staff, including significantly Riddles, saw this very clearly during the war and too late began thoughts of an equivalent LMS design to the V2. The fruit of this realisation is the rather Doncasteresque ratio of wide firebox production under Riddles, 30% of the BR Standard design build.

Still too many 'fiddling' BR designs in a wholly unnecessary gradation of small power classes. Gresley designed nothing smaller than BR power class 4 in tender locos for the LNER, and majored on 6+, and I think the record shows that he was right in this policy. The availability of a large number of wide firebox types on the former LNER territory, and that of his pupil Bulleid's provision on the Southern, saw the final use of regular express steam power in the UK over sections of these lines; after the much vaunted narrow firebox express types had all gone to the scrapper.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

This link works for me where George's never did. Shouldn't this be under 'Pictures and Videos', though?
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Blink Bonny »

Any up!

An familiar face around about 12 minutes in.......
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

I did mention a couple of our members were in it lol.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.