Pyewipe Junction GER MPD

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Pyewipe Junction GER MPD

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Can anyone provide a link or reference to photos of the ex-GER engine shed at Pyewipe Junction, Lincoln?

Surprisingly, there is information about it on Wikepedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pyewipe_J ... ngine_shed, but no photo.

I'd like to see a photo of it before it was closed (and the shed demolished?) in 1924 but even a photo of it in use as a stabling point would be better than nothing.

I spent many a happy summer's day at Pyewipe, which was difficult enough to get to in its own right, but the MPD was on the north side of the line, between the railway and the Fossdyke and beyond my courage to attempt to reach!
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: Pyewipe Junction GER MPD

Post by kudu »

How many photos do you want?

There are SIX in Hawkins & Reeve "GER Engine Sheds" Vol 1, including an unusual pre-1914 one across the northlight roof with much detail in foreground and background. Another (undated) shows a Claud in GER days with the shed, complete with doors, behind and a bowler-hatted gentleman studying the turntable pit in the foreground. Plenty of text, too.

You could also look at Griffiths & Smith Directory of British Engine Sheds Vol 2 which summarises the history of the shed and its servicing point predecessor, together with a 1932 OS map excerpt showing track layout etc.

The latter says the depot was used for servicing after official closure until "at least 1947" and the building was demolished after this date.

Kudu
Pyewipe Junction
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Pyewipe Junction »

Many thanks for the information.

I had a feeling that Pyewipe would be covered in one of the GER shed books, but didn't know which one.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Lucky you finding the required gen, i have been on a similar quest to find pics of Berwick NBR shed before it was closed and demolished by the LNER to aid with the plans to ease the bottleneck at Berwick station caused by the original NBR station being designed as a terminus and putting a kink in the ECML for trains coming off the Royal Border Bridge. The sheds locos were sent across the river to the former NER shed at Tweedmouth and the station rebuilt in one of the first LNER Capital expenditure schemes. I have one pic of the Semi roundhouse with external turntable and would love to see more.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Was that the one in "LNER Sheds in Camera"? A beautiful view of a most attractive shed. Semi-roundhouses were a rare breed in this country, and Berwick was the first, so far as I can trace. Happily St Blazey survives - another attractive building (as does the Leeds & Thirsk example in Leeds, adjacent to the full roundhouse, which also survives, though turntables and rails have long gone from both.)

The semi-roundhouse that fascinates me is the huge 26-road example served by TWO turntables at Nine Elms (LSWR). Unique in Britain, certainly, and perhaps in the world?

Now we're a long way from Pyewipe!

Kudu
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Kudu I posted the pic on the facebook site Forgotten Berwick and it was amazing hearing the comments from people who did not know it had been and gone.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.