H G Lewin

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Sheppard
NER Y7 0-4-0T

H G Lewin

Post by Sheppard »

H G Lewin wrote a series of papers known as the Lewin Papers covering his time at the NER and the LNER. I am unable to find a copy of these anywhere via the National Railway Museum or Google Scholar. Can anybody help.

Regards
Nigel
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: H G Lewin

Post by john coffin »

Have you thought to check the Hoole Collection at Darlington? You need to make an appointment to see it at the Museum, but without personally knowing anything about this person, Mr Lewin, it might well be something that Ken Hoole would have had in his collection.

Paul
Dixie
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: H G Lewin

Post by Dixie »

I believe that Lewin bequeathed a large part of his collection to the Library of the London School of Economics. Regrettably I have no date for the acquisition nor details of its extent. Henry Groote Lewin was a high flier, starting with the NER and then into the LNER. I have no dates or what rank he attained. I did however read one of his papers on coal traffic flows whilst at the Library some years ago. A most interesting piece of work identifying bottlenecks and making suggestions for improvement. Unfortunately I cannot recall what other papers may have been there.