SR Q1 at Harringay West

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

petelmrg
NER Y7 0-4-0T

SR Q1 at Harringay West

Post by petelmrg »

:D Hi all,
First post - and is a subject that has been bugging me for ages. I was a regular spotter around Harringay c.1960. I have seen a picture in a book (but I can't remember the title!) of a Q1 at Harringay at the foot of the viaduct waiting to 'bank' a J50 over to the Ferme Park yard. I have recollections of seeing these beasts on the Gospel Oak line which passed close to our house. There is a connection to the ECML there; please someone, let me out of my misery and confirm this - or deny it and prove that I am really starting to lose it...
Mickey

Re: SR Q1 at Harringay West

Post by Mickey »

petelmrg wrote::D Hi all,
First post - and is a subject that has been bugging me for ages. I was a regular spotter around Harringay c.1960. I have seen a picture in a book (but I can't remember the title!) of a Q1 at Harringay at the foot of the viaduct waiting to 'bank' a J50 over to the Ferme Park yard. I have recollections of seeing these beasts on the Gospel Oak line which passed close to our house. There is a connection to the ECML there; please someone, let me out of my misery and confirm this - or deny it and prove that I am really starting to lose it...
From memory i think there is a photograph of a southern Q1 0-6-0 opposite Harringay West station at Harringay Up Goods (box) in the book called King's Cross Line side 1958-1984 by David Percival published by Ian Alan.

Mickey
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by JASd17 »

The Bulleid Q1s were certainly used on the many transfer goods trains between Feltham and other yards for the WR and also LMR and ER. In the latter case most went to Hornsey. From the Southern all this traffic went via the North & South Western Junction route, not sure how it got to Hornsey, but some of the North London looks likely. Your memory looks in good order to me, at least!

John
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

JASd17 wrote:The Bulleid Q1s were certainly used on the many transfer goods trains between Feltham and other yards for the WR and also LMR and ER. In the latter case most went to Hornsey. From the Southern all this traffic went via the North & South Western Junction route, not sure how it got to Hornsey, but some of the North London looks likely. Your memory looks in good order to me, at least!
It came off the southern region at Old Kew Junction then went via the N&SWJ through Kew East Jn, South Acton Jn, Acton Wells Jn, and then the North London line through Willesden High Level Jn, Kensal Green Jn, Finchley Road, Hampstead Heath, Gospel Oak then the Tottenham & Hampstead line via Junction Road Jn, Upper Holloway, Crouch Hill & Harringay Park Jn and then via the 'Harringay curve' onto the GN and Ferme Park yards.

Mickey
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

The Middleton Press book, Kings Cross to Potters Bar, has a photo of a Q1 outside Harringey Up Goods Signal Box having transversed the Harringay Viaduct.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

The North London WT for 1953 (published in District Controller's View No 13, Xpress Publishing) shows only one Southern-hauled working to Ferme Park, and that is a Q from Norwood, an overnight train, the loco returning light engine. The only other Southern loco workings to ER destinations (excluding Neasden) were three to Temple Mills - just 1 Q1 and 2 700s.

Workings may have changed by the 60s (certainly Q1s gradually replaced the 700s), or maybe the Q1 on the GN was unusual. But I'm sure petelmrg shouldn't be doubting his memory.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Those southern 0-6-0 'Biscuit tins' were ugly buggers, possibly the only case of a loco tender being better looking than it's loco??. :wink:

Mickey
petelmrg
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by petelmrg »

Thanks very much all for your observations - and the name of the book. I feel as though a little of my sanity is still intact! :D
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:Those southern 0-6-0 'Biscuit tins' were ugly buggers, possibly the only case of a loco tender being better looking than it's loco??. :wink:

Mickey
They remind me of an armadillo.

You look at this one and ask how can it be as battered as that. https://www.google.co.uk/search?q=bulle ... c07mTkM%3A
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Kestrel wrote:
FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:Those southern 0-6-0 'Biscuit tins' were ugly buggers, possibly the only case of a loco tender being better looking than it's loco??.
Kestrel wrote:They remind me of an armadillo.
Yes they do Kestrel but they kind of blended in well on the southern region along with there concrete station buildings and southern EMUs.

From Mr.Bulleid's 'Ugly ducklings' to his finest locos his 4-6-2 'spam cans' (light pacifics) of the West Country & Battle of Britains classes in either there un-rebuilt or rebuilt forms, i've always liked those locos.

ps...but don't mention The Leader class though. :wink:

Mickey
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

FINSBURY PARK 5 wrote:Those southern 0-6-0 'Biscuit tins' were ugly buggers, possibly the only case of a loco tender being better looking than it's loco??. :wink:

Mickey
Have to disagree. They are quite beautiful in their own way. But they are less functional than they appear. With no running boards you need ladders or stilts to clean them.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

kudu wrote:

Mickey
Have to disagree. They are quite beautiful in their own way. But they are less functional than they appear. With no running boards you need ladders or stilts to clean them.

Kudu
Yeah i know wot you mean Kudu in someways the Q1s looked alright working on the southern region amongst Bulleid 'spam cans' as well as Maunsell mixed traffic 4-6-0s & B.R. 2-6-2 & 2-6-4 standard tanks and such like but overall compared to many other british loco designs they didn't look to good up against some of them.

Mickey