NER/LNER Station Buildings

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

NER/LNER Station Buildings

Post by DWS »

Hello

I am interested in the Main Station Buildings found at stations such as Goathland (the most well known). I would like to know more about these station building and would like to know if they were of a particular design, designation or type. I am also trying to find the locations where all of these types of station buildings were built. Any help with information, locations, building plans and/or photos would be appreciated.

Those I have discovered so far are:

Goathland, Egton, Glaisdale, Lealholm, Danby, Witton Gilbert (photo below), Dacre, Pateley Bridge, Knitsley, Lanchester.

Many thanks
Dave
Attachments
Witton Gilbert Station.jpg
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: NER/LNER Station Buildings

Post by sawdust »

Also Ripley Valley and Birstwith on the Pately Bridge line, both long since demolished.

Sawdust.
DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DWS »

Thank you for those Sawdust.

Dave
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

You will find all the info you require in the 3 books published by the North Eastern Railway Association,
A History of North Eastern Railway Architecture by Bill Fawcett. Well worth a read.
DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DWS »

Thanks for the info Dave.

Cheers
Dave

Edited 1/3/2016:

Having checked on current availability of these books,£40.00 odd per book is a bit steep for my pockets :(

Does anyone have copies of these book who could help me pin down the Volume/Chapters I would need please?
JonR
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by JonR »

Dave

The Bill Fawcett books are excellent. If you're anywhere near County Durham the library service holds all 3 volumes in their reserves.

Jon
JR
DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DWS »

Hi Jon

Many thanks for that info. Co. Durham is not too far from me, certainly worth a visit in that case.

Regards

Dave
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Since online photos of Ripley Valley station are thin on the ground, I have uploaded a short super8 clip to X/Twitter with some stills from same
https://x.com/TeakSawdust/status/177310 ... 90912?s=20

Regards

Sawdust.