East Coast Mail Train

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

East Coast Mail Train

Post by notascoobie »

G'day.
I'm looking into the working of the 2020 mail train from Kings Cross as it was worked in c1957. I've got the train composition from the WTTs and I know there were TPO, sorting and storage vans. The information I'm seeking relates to whether there was any use of lineside equipment with this train ie was the traductor gear used. I want to know this because I'm trying to work out which way round the vehicles were in the train as it headed north.
Any help gratefully recieved.
Regards,
Vernon
giner
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: East Coast Mail Train

Post by giner »

There was a pickup post on the down fast atop the embankment just south of the Wymondley Road bridge on the southern approach to Hitchin. I used to cajole my dad into waiting to see 'the mail' come through before i was whisked off home to bed.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
I remember when on empty trains diagram,we used to turn the posties by going round triangle at Gateshead the set then went to Heaton.

52H
Hermit 109
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Hermit 109 »

I worked the 20.20 in the late sixties and at that time there were still two drop points in action, one just north of Huntingdon, and the other at Werrington. The train always departed from platform 10 (now 8 ) and it was possible to post a letter in the P.O coach but at extra cost.
52H
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by 52H »

Hi all
I Remember there was a drop off point in the down direction ,it was at the south end of Durham viaduct. I can't remember when it was removed.

52H
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Thanks for your memories guys. We are interested in getting the train formation right for a layout and although we have the composition we're trying to find out which way round the TPOs were. Regards, Vernon
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Morning Vernon

Have you got a copy of Back Track Special issue No.2 (LNER)? It has an article by Steve Banks on TPO services on the LNER - a bit before your required date, but it might be useful for background as it describes the pick up points etc. It is unclear whether the Leeds portion or the Newcastle portion picked up at Huntingdon North; if it was the Leeds TPO the vehicles would not need turning for the return journey - presumably the Newcastle portion picked up southbound. Photographs accompanying the article show a TPO behind the loco with the traductor gear towards the six foot.

John
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi John,

It's been a while. I hope all's well with you and that you're busy in your new train shed!

Thanks for the pointer. I have got the Steve Banks article but didn't want to make the connection with earlier practice unless there was some reason to do so. I guess if nobody actually knows, we could place the TPOs in the train in the same manner as in the LNER photo and wait to see if anyone notices!

See you at EXPO?

Regards,

Vernon
lightning
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by lightning »

I presume a Kings Cross loco and crew would be at the head of this train but has anybody any idea of the class of loco?
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

Hi Vernon

All is well, thank you. No large shed yet - we've been "redecorating" the whole house and otherwise enjoying life.

I'm assuming you've got the Carriage Working Notice as well as the WTT? You might like to try Robert Carroll to see if he can shed any more light on the TPO workings. I hope you're going to run the train in a darkened railway room to be authentic - a bit like the Great Train Robbery diorama.

EXPO - yes, look forward to seeing you there - it will give me a break from a few dozen cattle wagons.

Regards

John
robertcwp
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by robertcwp »

I have some carriage workings from the era but not Summer 1957. The books either side do not specify which way round the PO vans were nor what pick-up or set-down there was on the move.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

Ken Hoole's book The East Coast Main Line Since 1925 gives the 1954 engine working as a York A2 between York and Newcastle. The engine returned on the 5.35 am goods Heaton Up Yard to Dringhouses.
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

In 'Top Shed' Peter Townend gives example A4 engine workings for a week in May 1956, which show 60022 working the train on Tuesday, Thursday and Saturday. The workings on the other days of that week are not mentioned so far as I can see, so the train might have been worked by a different King's Cross type on those days or even possibly by an engine from a different shed.

Railway Observer for February 1957 mentions 60128 on the train on Friday 21 December 1956, but this was a day of severe disruption to services. I could find no other mention of the train in Railway Observer in either 1957 or 1958.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

Hi Rob,
Thanks for your input. I guess if you don't know nobody will! Thanks gain.
Regards,
Vernon
robertcwp

Post by robertcwp »

notascoobie wrote:Hi Rob,
Thanks for your input. I guess if you don't know nobody will! Thanks gain.
Regards,
Vernon
I don't know much about engine workings. It's what they pulled that interests me more. Tommy Knox would know about the engines. Not sure if he is still with us though.