Platform Bench

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Platform Bench

Post by DWS »

Hello

I have just purchased an old railway platform bench (see below) and not sure which region it was from, I am led to believe this particular style was either LMS or NER. Does anyone have any knowledge of these 'Rustic' railway platform benches and could identify this one please? I realise the woodwork is not original and quite shorter than it would have been, the plan is to restore it.

Thanks, Dave.
Attachments
Railway Seat.jpg
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Platform Bench

Post by 52D »

Hi, i opened a discussion on here about the benches used by the NER, the Serpent Bench i will post a link later. Im sure the GWR and NBR used a type of rustic bench.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

Hi, sadly I would stake my reputation on that not being a railway seat of any kind. There are several minor variations of the NER rustic seat and they are nothing like this. The famous "serpent" seats have also been seen in Wales as they were mass produced by various foundries and sold to councils.
DWS
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Post by DWS »

Hi
I understand that the woodwork on this seat is not original and is much shorter than original however, the cast iron ends are I am informed, original items as used by some railway companies. In fact they are of the same type as used, but not exclusively, by the GWR and are a Type 1 design dating from 1884, this information from a GWR book - see below. Mine of course is also missing the center mounting.
Attachments
GWR Type 1 (1).jpg
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

This is a good example of an NER rustic seat https://books.google.co.uk/books?id=pjO ... at&f=false Note the pronounced "knots", lack of arm rests (so that the same casting could be used in any position) and generally heavy construction.
I have a photo somewhere of a couple of damaged serpent ends I still own which came from Coxgreen station and they are both different style castings, but from photos I have identified 4 different NER styles. The NER "Miscellaneous Book Of Standards" has pictures of some of these seats.