Was there a station at Ulgham Grange?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Was there a station at Ulgham Grange?

Post by 60041 »

Does anyone know if there was ever a station at Ulgham Grange on the Newcastle and Berwick main line (ECML) between Widdrington and Longhirst?
I recently went over the level crossing there and was surprised to see a building there that appears to be very similar to some other small stations on the line such as Smeafield, Lesbury and Forest Hall. I have never seen any reference to a station at this location, despite having read almost every available book or article about this line. The building is definitely built in the small station style rather than the much smaller and simpler crossing keeper's house that can be found in other locations. A very good view of it is available on Google Earth.
Sir Nigel Gresley
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Sir Nigel Gresley »

Not according to the Ian Allan Pre-Grouping Atlas & Gazetteer!
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

uffham grange

Post by 52D »

I have checked several reference books but can find no reference to a station so i think it may be just YN & B railway housing similar to the housing at Woden Gates and Spital crossing which always reminded me of small stations.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
Bullhead
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by Bullhead »

The 1956 BR publication "Handbook of Stations" (for which you'd have to have pretty large hands: there are almost 500 pages) tabulates details of all passenger and/or goods facilities throughout the network at that time, together with information about crane capacity, livestock accommodation, and suchlike - there's no reference to Ulgham.
So - did anyone dare tell Stephenson, "It's not Rocket science"?
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Bryan »

Its not listed either in the North Eastern Railway publication.
"Traffic from Collieries, Works, Sidings and Depots"
Dated 1898 reprinted by the NERA in 2003
ajmore
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Ulgham Colliery

Post by ajmore »

In the Railway Clearing House Handbook of Stations of 1890, there is an entry for Ulgham Colliery located between Longhirst and Widdrington.

The entry also appears in the 1895 Edition. By the time of the 1900 Appendix, it was still extant.

By the time the 1904 edition was published, the entry had been removed. There was no entry in the 1872 edition. So, it can be concluded that Ulgham Colliery existed between 1872 and 1903. The listing shows no facilities as being provided.

No entries appear in any of the more recent Handbooks. Since there is no mention of Ulgham in Charles Clinker's lists, it can reasonably be inferred that there had not been any Passenger facilities provided.

John More
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ulgham (uffham) Grange

Post by 52D »

Mine at Ulgham Grange closed 1888(durham mining museum website). Try an appeal for information on above site forums they are helping me on subject of colliery wagonways.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ulgham Grange

Post by 52D »

Just checked my copy of Jowetts Railway Atlas that has been on loan and that has no record of a station.
Jowett is not infallable but the weight of other evidence suggests no station.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Ulgham Grange

Post by 52D »

Further to my last post check this web site http://www.geocities.com/waggonways/nor ... shott.html it shows colliery but no station.
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by 60041 »

Thanks for the info., I had never heard of one either, but was surprised when I saw the N&B station type buildings there. One other thing that made me suspect that one had been there is that the station at Widdrington is not a standard design, which suggests that it was built later than the others on the line, so I wondered whether there had been a situation like that at Lesbury / Bilton Junction, where a station had been built but only used for a very short time before being replaced by another a short distance away.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Was there a station at Ulgham Grange?

Post by 52D »

Hi,
This snippet I found whilst looking for something else from the National records office website may interest you if you read through it.

[no title] QRUP/47a and b 1839

Contents:
GREAT NORTH BRITISH RAILWAY
Proposed Railway between Edinburgh and Newcastle upon Tyne by Berwick upon Tweed to be called the Great North British Railway and crossing Northumberland townships of Berwick, Tweedmouth, Spittal, Scremerston, Cheswick, Goswick, Haggerston, Beal and Lowlin, Fenham, Fenwick, Buckton, Elwick, Detchant, Middleton, Easington, Belford, Warenton, Mousen, Adderstone, Lucker, Newham, Chathill, Swinhoe, Preston, Tuggal, Brunton, Embleton, Newton-by-the-Sea, Dunstan, Craster, Howick, Long Houghton, Almouth, Lesbury, Wooden, High Buston, Low Buston, Birling, Warkworth, Gloster Hill, Amble, Togston, Hadston, East Chevington, West Chevington, Bullocks Hall, Widdrington, Ulgham Grange, Linton, Old Moor, Bothal Demesne, Ashington, Sheepwash, Choppington, West Sleekburn, Bedlington, Bebside, Horton, Cramlington, Seghill, Weetslade, Killingworth, Longbenton, South Gosforth, Jesmond, St. Andrew Newcastle.
Proposed Variation of Line from above main line at point between Cramlington High and Low Collieries to main line near the (old) Race Course Newcastle, crossing townships of Cramlington, Seghill, Weetslade, North Gosforth, South Gosforth, Jesmond and St. Andrew Newcastle.
Branch Line to Morpeth from main line near Hurst Head crossing townships of Bedlington, Netherton, Hepscott and Catchburn.
Alternative Line at Peelwalls Lodge in parish of Ayton, co. Berwick.
Alternative Line from Cockburnspath Tower to near Dean Mill, Cos. Berwick and Haddington.
Alternative Line near Innerwick, Co. Haddington.
Branch Line to Dunbar from main line near Spott, Co. Haddington.
Alternative Line from main line at Linton to main line at Prora, Co. Haddington.
Alternative Line at Inveresk, Co. Edinburgh.
Engineers - Messrs. George and Robert Stephenson of London, and Messrs. Grainger and Miller of Edinburgh.
Plans - 22; Sectional plans - 14; Book of Reference - 1; House of Lords Standing Order re. Deposit of plans - 1.
Duplicate.
Deposited 1 Mar. 1839.

52D
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Was there a station at Ulgham Grange?

Post by 60041 »

Thanks for that. I called at the County Records Office at Woodhorn a couple of weeks ago, and found the reference for the Deposited Plans QRUP/58a and 58b, but there was no reference to the document you found. I am going back in the next week or two to to look at the plans, I will see if I can find the other document while I am there.