Marshmoor Signalbox

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Marshmoor Signalbox

Post by Mickey »

StevieG wrote:I recall the once seeing the DG used for a shunt move as you mentioned Mickey (through 16 trap Reversed, to stand and wait behind 17 dolly), but not how it was handled on the Block. That was for a terminated Down local DMU that had to vacate the Down Slow platform to allow the connecting parly to come in, call, and depart to the DM and away, but there was no margin between non-stopping Down and Up Fast trains to cross the arrived & terminated DMU DS-DM-US straight away : The DMU then had to come back into the DS platform after the parly had gone, and then cross to the Up side.
To be honest Stevie you've got me wondering now regarding that infrequent light engine movement that was put behind no.17 ground disc-signal on the Down goods line just beyond Welwyn Garden City box being done the way I previously described how it was done although I can't imagine somehow that the light engine concerned was just shunted behind no.17 disc-signal without it first being 'put on the block' to Welwyn North box?. Oh well it was a long time ago now around 44 years ago and I was only a youngster at the time maybe subsequently I thought thats how it was done?.

Mickey
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

There were a lot of things signalmen used to do (or not do) in preference to getting their mate next door out of his armchair . . .

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I can't think of much more to say about Marshmoor box although I did visit the box about a week or two after it had closed in late November 1972.

I believe the visit came about because I had noticed the box door had appeared to have been left ajar when riding passed the box on a passing train so I decided to go and take alook inside before the box was finally dismantled and vanished completely. When I was inside the box I remember the box floor being littered with old train notices and train register books and other bits and pieces including possibly some loose detonators scattered about on the floor as well. From memory the block shelf was empty minus the block instruments and block bells along with the track diagram had gone having I presume all been disconnected and taken away by the S&T but I do remember all the levers still had there traffolyte lever badges on them I do remember that anyway I decided not to stay to long as a number of trains went passed the box while I was there so after about 10 minutes of looking around I left.

Mickey
madgewildfire60135
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by madgewildfire60135 »

manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Some very nice quality pics, I like the pic of Stapleford, 4472 and a D2/3, only pic I've ever seen of Stapleford, in LNER days. any more info on this pic.

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by Dave Cockle »

The Middleton Press book "The Hertford Loop" has the same picture of Stapleford Station with 4472.

The picture was taken in 1929 during the making of an early film called "The Flying Scotsman".
Eightpot
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by Eightpot »

Deleted.