Greta Molewood Railway Museum.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Greta Molewood Railway Museum.

Post by ajb200 »

Hi,
Does anybody know anything about the Great Molewood Railway Museum, or Jack Waldock. I remember the early days of the collection, but when did it move to Knebworth Park? As I remember Jack was an ex LNER/BR signalman I think.The collection is widespread now sadly.
Dave Cockle
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: Greta Molewood Railway Museum.

Post by Dave Cockle »

Jack was a S&T locking fitter based at Hitchin. His father Rubin was a signalman at Hertford North. Jack was a prolific collector of railwayana and established the Great Molewood Railway Museum which used to be based at the family home adjoining the Hertford Loop at the North end of Molewood Tunnel (Down Side). Amongst the collection was the former signal box from Cole Green and ground frame hut from Harringay Potato Sidings. He also had a short section of track and a Wickhams Motorised Trolley. Rubin died and his widow remained as the owner of the family home. When Jack's mother died the will stated that the house had to be sold and the money shared between Jack and his sister. Jack was rehoused at Watton-at -Stone but there was no room for the museum so it was broken up with the bulk of the items going to Knebworth Park. Here it was accommodated on the Knebworth and Wintergreen narrow gauge railway. When Knebworth Park decided they no longer wanted a narrow gauge railway on their premises Jack's collection was again broken up with the bulk going to Bygones Village Norfolk. The former Cole Green signal box is now in a private collector's hands in Cold Norton, Essex.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I have Jack's concrete post somersault signal with miniature arm and several other items from his collection.
Eccentric
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eccentric »

The items which went to the Bygones Village were auctioned off in October 2004 following its closure.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

Eccentric wrote:The items which went to the Bygones Village were auctioned off in October 2004 following its closure.
I had to live on chip butties and bread and jam that month.
Eccentric
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eccentric »

R. pike wrote:
Eccentric wrote:The items which went to the Bygones Village were auctioned off in October 2004 following its closure.
I had to live on chip butties and bread and jam that month.
You too? :P

I found a lattice post home signal (which had never been erected) in deep undergrowth when recovering 150 yds of bullhead rail and sleepers - all of which had remained undiscovered until after the auction - so I was able to save the signal. Sadly the post was too far gone and has since been scrapped (would be easier to build a new one than try to repair), but the arm, spectacle plate and brackets are safe.
R. pike
GNR C1 4-4-2

Post by R. pike »

I met Jack a few times at Great Innings. Even there some of the stuff he had was amazing. I've done my best to purchase bits that were part of his collection as they come up for sale. My source of locking details for GN main line boxes came directly from him.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

There was still several redundant concrete signal posts still to be found around the Welwyn Garden City, Ayot & Hertingfordbury areas circa 1968/69.

From memory at WGC-

Welwyn Garden City Down Hertford branch starting signal post.
Welwyn Garden City Up Hertford branch home signal post.
Welwyn Garden City Up Hertford branch 'fixed' distant signal post (opposite Nortons sidings).

From memory at Ayot-

Ayot Down branch home signal post.
Ayot Up loop starting signal post.

From memory at Hertingfordbury-

Also as previously posted about 6 years ago a friend and myself while walking the route of the old Hertford-Welwyn Garden City single line branch line (east to west direction) in around 1969 discovered the old Cowbridge Down branch distant signal post laying trackside in undergrowth between Hertingfordbury station and the Hertford branch viaduct.

Mickey
Eccentric
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by Eccentric »

In preparation for the Bygones auction, dense 6ft high undergrowth was cut back to reveal a grouping of long forgotten signals (presumably all part of part of Jack's collection), which appeared to be guarding an equally long forgotten escapee from the Nabisco factory - note the lot number tags on all:
Bygones Auction 2004.jpg