1950s rail routes across Norfolk.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

1950s rail routes across Norfolk.

Post by JohnV »

Hello folks,

I'm trying to piece together a route which I travelled on twice in the mid 50s. We travelled from the NE to the Norfolk Broads. We didn't travel via Peterborough nor did we go into Norwich (where we would have had to change I guess). What we did do was pass two or three former WW2 airfields where thousands (I do not exaggerate) of ex military vehicles of all shapes and sizes were parked (very neatly!) - and this was 9 and 10 years after the war. If anyone can figure out this route, might they also know which airfields were passed?
Hope someone can help with this.
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Re: 1950s rail routes across Norfolk.

Post by WTTReprinter »

There were two options;
Via Leicester and over the M&GN to Norfolk, or down to March and out via King's Lynn and Swaffham.
It all depends on where on the Broads you were. Can you remember where you stayed?

WW2 airfields were all over Norfolk at that time so it doesn't pin it down much!
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
http://wttreprints.uk/
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

Thank you WTT. That's a good start. I suspect it would have been the second of your two options, aiming for Wroxham (does that make sense?). I don't recall going through Leicester - and I know that route. The airfields in question were alongside the railway if that helps at all, though I take your point about the proliferation of them in East Anglia - it must have been like a giant aircraft carrier!
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

Morning John.

If you were heading for Wroxham, I'm surprised you didn't see Norwich. Unless you were on an excursion or similar that took Trowse Curve, avoiding the actual station. A lot of seasonal traffic ran from the north via the GE/GN Joint via Doncaster, Lincoln, March, then Ely, Thetford, Norwich and on to local resorts. The route via King's Kynn & Swaffham was available but would meaning changing trains or having the train reverse and even then, once you reached Dereham you would cut across to Wymondham and head for Norwich.

Can you remember if you changed trains or if the journey was made on one train and do you remember the date?

Either route, Swaffham or Thetford, passed airfields.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

JohnV wrote:... The airfields in question were alongside the railway if that helps at all, though I take your point about the proliferation of them in East Anglia - it must have been like a giant aircraft carrier!
They had to be on the rail network, or near enough for a branch spur, to run in the supplies of fuel and munitions. The UK wasn't called 'the unsinkable aircraft carrier' at that time for nothing. From Thetford, the route would pass the Lakenheath base which was immense, and Wymondham which was both extensive and relatively near the line. It's a while ago now, but I spent a very memorable couple of days in that general area with a US colleague and his father who had completed two tours on Liberators as a navigator out of East Anglia. He reckoned they had landed at half the airfields in Norfolk between miscalculation and necessity...
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

WTT - I seem to remember that we didn't change trains. This was in August 1954 and the same the following year. Just one thought - might a train have gone into Norwich and then out again?
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

JohnV wrote:WTT - I seem to remember that we didn't change trains. This was in August 1954 and the same the following year. Just one thought - might a train have gone into Norwich and then out again?
Hi John.

I have a 1954 WTT for Wroxham and the only booked stopping trains were those from Norwich or Liverpool St. This leads me to suspect it was one of the myriad of additional and holiday expresses that ran in the 50's.
If you're certain you didn't change trains then this almost confirms it as all through services came from London, calling at Norwich.

I suggested Trowse Curve as you originally mentioned not seeing Peterboro' or Norwich. A lot of traffic did reverse at Norwich but it was such a busy station that most extra traffic used Trowse Curve, even changing engines there if needed. (Trowse Curve was just outside Norwich and allowed through trains to bypass Norwich Station). In which case you have probably come from the north via Doncaster, Lincoln, March, Ely and then via the Thetford line towards Norwich.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

WTTReprinter wrote:In which case you have probably come from the north via Doncaster, Lincoln, March, Ely and then via the Thetford line towards Norwich.
Or perhaps not via Ely to avoid reversal.

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by StevieG »

thesignalman wrote:
WTTReprinter wrote:In which case you have probably come from the north via Doncaster, Lincoln, March, Ely and then via the Thetford line towards Norwich.
Or perhaps not via Ely to avoid reversal.

John
How about via March towards Thetford via Ely (West and) North Junctions's 'West Curve' John?
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
WTTReprinter
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by WTTReprinter »

Hi John.

I meant via Ely Curve, taking Ely as a whole area, rather than the station in particular.
Thanks.
WTT Reprinter
JohnV
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by JohnV »

Thanks folks. WTT, I think you must have nailed it with the Doncaster, Lincoln route you suggested via Trowse curve. Thanks