Time from Newcastle to Kings Cross - Pre-grouping

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

spedders
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Time from Newcastle to Kings Cross - Pre-grouping

Post by spedders »

I have hesitated putting this question as a new entrant onto the forum, but would appreciate some help from those who will obviously know.

The fastest train to Kings Cross from Newcastle was the Flying Scotsman??? It used to take approximately 4 hours between the two stations in the pre-grouping years, I believe. I terms of the remainder of the daily services, can someone tell me the sort of times that were timetabled for limited stop and stopping trains please.

Thank you in advance.

Spedders
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Re: Time from Newcastle to Kings Cross - Pre-grouping

Post by Trestrol »

According to the East Coast Joint Stock timetable from 1899 I recently acquired from e-bay the quickest time I can find is 5 hours 49 mins. That was the 2.20pm out of Kings cross arriving at 8.09.
JASd17
LNER A3 4-6-2

Re: Time from Newcastle to Kings Cross - Pre-grouping

Post by JASd17 »

Bradshaw for April 1910, reprint, shows the 8.00am Up from Newcastle arriving at KX 1.40pm. The Up Flying Scotsman is 12.43pm off Newcastle, arriving 6.15pm.

Bradshaw for July 1922, reprint again, shows the 8.00am Up arriving half an hour later into KX at 2.10pm. The relief Flying Scotsman is just 1 minute faster than this.

During the Grouping era, 1923-1947, things improved slowly until the introduction of the 4 hour Silver jubilee in 1935. Some times were little different. For example, in the summer 1938 the 7.40am off Newcastle arrived at KX 1.15pm. There was a 5 hour express departing Newcastle at 12.28pm, but this did not run every day.

It is important to realise that there were relatively few services over the whole East Coast line, certainly nothing like the pattern of services today. There really wasn't any service either before or after Grouping that could be described as limited stop or stopping, travelling all the way from Newcastle to King's Cross. Services were much slower during and after WWII.

John