A History of NER Signalling - now available

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

A History of NER Signalling - now available

Post by richard »

Just received word from Janet Coulthard at the NERA: Their new book "'A History of NER Signalling" is now shipping...
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
StevieG
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: A History of NER Signalling - now available

Post by StevieG »

I have had a slow skim through a copy of this book, and it looks extremely thorough and well-researched : Not merely about the equipments and signal box buildings, but also going into many aspects of the NER company's signalling, such as its experimenting as early as the mid-1890s with devices looking to prevent trains overrunning signals, history from the earliest days of signalling, plus signalling-related train operating matters, accidents, and includes chapters on signalmen & their management and working lives, and on modelling NER signals ; and all well supported with photos and illustrations including several signal box diagrams (i.e. of particular locations' track layouts and signalling).
Some images included, photographic and of engineering drawings, are In full colour,

Not a cheap publication at £27.00 but the four authors have packed a multitude of material and research into the 320 pages of this highly authoritative and professional work.

( P.S. I have no connection in terms of monetary or other benefit, with this book, its authors, or the NERA.)
BZOH

/
\ \ \ //\ \
/// \ \ \ \
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I think for its size, it is a bargain - compare to the Tatlow volumes, for instance.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

My copy has now arrived. Good for browsing; good for looking up particular details; good for giving a 'feel' for a working railway.
Some of the pictures and drawings have been published elsewhere, but this in no way diminished it's value.

Most useful addition to the library!

Excellent value-for-money; and it is slightly cheaper for NERA members, of whom I am one.