Extra water for Tornado.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Extra water for Tornado.

Post by DonnyRailMan »

On the A1 Steam Locomotive Trust site they talk about Tornado carrying extra water (2019) .
Will they now be building a second tender now for Tornado. I understand from the Tornado
DVD they thought about twin tender but could not run at 90 mph on Network Rail with that
setup. If they are to carry extra water to do 200 mile without topping up will they also need
extra coal as well.
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
strang steel
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Extra water for Tornado.

Post by strang steel »

From what I understood, the extra water was going to be carried in the 'new' rake of carriages converted from redundant Mk3s.

However, I am not sure whether that means in a specially adapted brake coach marshalled next to the tender with a large internal water tank; or some other configuration.
John. My spotting log website is now at https://spottinglogs.co.uk/spotting-rec ... s-70s-80s/
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

strang steel wrote:From what I understood, the extra water was going to be carried in the 'new' rake of carriages converted from redundant Mk3s.

As this been done before or will it be something totally new and save having the 2nd tender.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Not usual in the UK, but an auxiliary bogie tanker wagon for extra water was much used in the operation of African Garratts to overcome limited watering points.

The coal supply is about 8 ton on Tornado's current tender. The coal would need to be very poor in energy content not to be adequate for 200 mile range, with sufficient reserve in hand. As ever though it depends on the load, the schedule to be met, and the ability of the crew in firing the grate and correctly managing use of the steam supply.
UpDistant
NBR J36 0-6-0

Post by UpDistant »

There are already 2 water carriers on the Network, both ex-BR GUVs, 96100 (ex 86734/93734 converted 2013) used by Vintage Trains based at Tyseley, and 96175 (ex 86628/93628 converted 2010) used by West Coast Railways. Both have a water capacity of 3000 gallons and are rated for 100 mph operation.
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

strang steel wrote:From what I understood, the extra water was going to be carried in the 'new' rake of carriages converted from redundant Mk3s.
Also would that be cheaper than having a second water tender built would have thought.
Mercator II
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by Mercator II »

The way I understand it, IF Tornado is granted 90mph running, with the boiler pressure going to be the same, thus further distance gained quicker, less water stops. Then when the new coaching stock comes into service, the plan is to have a water tank in one of the support coaches, again extending running distances
oOo

Brian

Garage Hobbit!!
Modelling in 00 on my heritage line, very GCR inspired
Mersey508138
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Post by Mersey508138 »

They could follow the example set by GWR loco number 5043 where they use a converted GUV coach fitted with a water tank inside snd connected through to the tender so there is potentially another 10,000+ gallons of water in the coach to prevent the possibility of running out of water.

Also as far as I know, the coach is rated for 90 mph running.