FLYING SCOTSMAN 75 M P H PLUSS ?.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

FLYING SCOTSMAN 75 M P H PLUSS ?.

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Now flying Scotsman as had the £ millions of work on her in the past ten years
will it be possible to do more than the 75 mph / 90mph. I know 75 mph is all Flying Scotsman
is being allowed to do at present but as she been fitted out with all the up to date
kit that say Tornado as. I heard on video at York someone as Flying Scotsman`s drive
what speed can she do the driver told him 75 mph by law. The same person said how would
anyone know if you did go faster the driver told the on board GPS would .
DonnyRailMan Instagram @severncrescentrailway
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Re: FLYING SCOTSMAN 75 M P H PLUSS ?.

Post by DonnyRailMan »

I thought that someone on here might have some idea about this topic.
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by 60526 »

If you want a response, yes FS may have been fitted with all these up to date equipment but it is still a 1923 loco, the reason why so much has been spent on it in recent years (apart from the repairs being at commercial rates) is that it was knackered due to I think being over extended over time, some poor maintenance decisions perhaps. I understand that it is now running the best it has been for a long long time, so for the sake of wear I'd keep it at 75mph. Apart from keeping better time, if you are in the train you hear it but don't see it, if your by the trackside you will not see it for so long. Tornado is a modern loco so they can do what they like with it, but FS is an icon and should be looked after. I'm also after keeping Mk1 coaches but that is another issue.
AdamOrmorod4468
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by AdamOrmorod4468 »

Also when you're on a railtour don't you want it to last as long as possible? Yes for Bittern's 90mph runs the speed made it a special occasion but when you go on these trips you're going for the journey, not to reach the destination if you see what I mean.
DonnyRailMan
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by DonnyRailMan »

Thank you for information , I get the point and reasons about why Flying Scotsman should stick to 75mph.