Horse-drawn vehicles

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Horse-drawn vehicles

Post by Rlangham »

Are there any good references out there for horse-drawn vehicles used by railway companies? Especially interested in NER ones
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Re: Horse-drawn vehicles

Post by john coffin »

Robert, there are various photos around, and some diagrams, for instance I think within the NER Record series, but when I was investigating coach building history some 4 years ago, I floundered round trying to find any real details. I have a number of old books on coach and therefore vehicle building during the 1850-80's but the drawings are all side views only with no widths etc.

I also tried to find what local museums might have horsedrawn vehicles, for instance in West London, the Gunnersbury Museum has some ambulance vehicle I think, I am not sure whether the museum in Maidstone still exists, to be honest too many other things got in the way.

I also asked the London Carriage Builders Guild, but sadly, they lost much of their stuff during the Second World War when their archives were bombed, before they could be taken out of London. I think York has at least one Vehicle, but actually it is an even more under researched area within the
railway modelling hobby.

I know this does not really help, but you might find some things others of us have not been able to . I would think that checking local preserved houses and their stables might be of value, at least it would put us all on the route of having some standardised measurements for wheels, lengths and widths and so on. However, it is pretty certain that many "flats" used at Vintage Shows could also be useful.

Paul
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

http://museum.maidstone.gov.uk/our-muse ... ollection/

this might not give us all we want, but it may well be that in view of their longevity, they will have more research and
details than other people.

paul
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Rob,

Are there any diagram books available? I know that the LNER had books for everything 'mechanical' including platform barrows and motor vehicles, and I seem to recall a recent reference to a GER diagram book for road vehicles, although whether that extended to horse-drawn types it did not say. There are certainly photographs available in the likes of the Science & Society and Ian Allan Library collections, and no doubt other similar sources, because they have been used to illustrate books and articles.

Finally, there are occasionally reproduction catalogues available for the main builders, so perhaps worth a good internet search too?
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

There's quite a collection at Beamish as well, although I couldn't say now how many are specifically railway vehicles.
Dave
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Dave »

Yes there is a diagram book for NER horse drawn vehicles, the copy I have is called - NER Diagram of Rullies 1914.

It does have some amazing carts in it.

Robert pm me your email address and I will send you a copy.
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

There are also other diagram books in the NRM collection covering both horse drawn and motor vehicles together with large numbers of photographs mainly on building. If in doubt check with the NRM; did you know for example that the LMS (at least) had a paint brush diagram book!
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Whilst I did not know that specific thing, I do remember that they had diagram books for engine tools and including buckets!

Is the NRM stuff properly annotated, or is it a punt and hope situation?

paul
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

65447 wrote:... I seem to recall a recent reference to a GER diagram book for road vehicles, although whether that extended to horse-drawn types it did not say...
Definitely something of the sort extant for GER horse drawn vehicles, as I have seen material on display on a GER society stand. If memory serves there was a particularly well detailed diagram of the construction, supported with photos, of the GER's immediately pre WWI standard road van; authored by Dennis West.
Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Post by Rlangham »

Thanks all for your replies, very much appreciated - especially Dave for the Diagrams of Rullies
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask