Eastern Region Paint Colour.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Eastern Region Paint Colour.

Post by Copley Hill 56C »

Hi, I am trying to track down a small supply of the Eastern Region Dark Blue colour in gloss. I have an Eastern Region totem which has some chips to the enamel, and would like to attempt a restoration. I have tried looking at the Humbrol colours, but they don't seem to have anything close except in matt finish. Anyone any ideas?
Thanks in anticipation.
Alan
mick b
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Eastern Region Paint Colour.

Post by mick b »

Halfords touch up paints ?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

BS381C:108 Aircraft Blue is understood to be the colour reference:
http://www.e-paint.co.uk/Lab_values.asp ... aft%20blue
thesignalman
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by thesignalman »

I would take it in to a paint supplier that can scan your totem and match it. They can do it in seconds.

I would rate the chances of its colour perfectly matching a BS colour pretty unlikely, but even so allowing for dirt, ageing and fading there is really only one colour this many years on since it was made and that is the colour your totem is.

John
"BX there, boy!"
Signalling history: https://www.signalbox.org/
Signalling and other railway photographs: https://433shop.co.uk/
Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Thanks for your responses. The Aircraft Blue is far too light, and I think that getting it scanned at a paint supplier might be the way to go.
Thanks again for the suggestions.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

According to an acquaintance of mine with a large collection of railwayana, because of the "obvious" appearance of a touch-up in the wrong shade of blue, especially if too pale, black (yes, black) is often the least difficult and least noticeable colour to use for repair of small chips and scratches on dark blue.
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

When I collected totems I would normally fill any chips with Plastic Padding/Chemical Metal and sand them flat then mix different enamel paints to make a match. Time consuming but worth it.
This sign had been cut through horizontally and used as edging in a garden but over two weeks I built a frame for it then beat and sanded the (very rough and rusty) edge and filled it with Chemical Metal them mixed the paint.There was quite a lot of edge damage too.

Sunderland Station Enamel 25.12.2003 par PinzaC55, on ipernity
Copley Hill 56C
GNR J52 0-6-0T

Thanks to everyone who has replied. I am thinking that when I am mobile again, (suffering with a nasty bout of sciatica) I will take the totem to one of these places where they scan it and come up with a paint match, hopefully successfully.