Murrow 1926-1976

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Mickey

Re: Murrow 1926-1976

Post by Mickey »

Here are 3 s/boxes damaged or completely demolished by trains-

1.Westbourne Park box on the GWR. From a photograph circa 1940s one end of the box was completely 'crunched in' by a push/pull train after it ran through the butter stops that were immediately positioned outside the box.

2.Browney on the LNER between Ferryhill & Durham in 1946 the box was partly demolished.

3.Chapel-En-Le-Frith on the London Midland Region in 1957 the box was totally demolished by a run away loose coupled freight, this was the accident that driver John Axon was awarded the George Cross posthumously.

4.Dock Junction on the Midland main line just north of st Pancras was rebuilt after the original box was demolished or partly demolished by a ex-LMS Jubilee class loco when the driver failed to stop at a signal near the box and then ran through a set of stops outside the box and on into the box!!.

There are also a small number of other s/boxes that were either partly or completely demolished through railway accidents I have come across from reading accident reports down the years.

Mickey
Last edited by Mickey on Tue Dec 06, 2016 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Mickey wrote:Here are 3 s/boxes damaged or completely demolished by trains-

1.Westbourne Park box on the GWR. From a photograph circa 1940s one end of the box was completely 'crunched in' by a push/pull train after it ran through the butter stops that were immediately positioned outside the box.

2.Browney on the LNER between Ferryhill & Durham in 1946 the box was partly demolished.

3.Chapel-En-Le-Frith on the London Midland Region in 1957 the box was totally demolished by a run away loose coupled freight, this was the accident that driver John Axon was awarded the George Cross posthumously.

There are also a small number of other s/boxes that were either partly or completely demolished through railway accidents I have come across from reading accident reports down the years.

Mickey
Percy Main was another demolished cabin by J27 if i remember correctly.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
brsince78
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by brsince78 »

Am I right in thinking that Hungerford suffered the close attention of a loaded mineral train at some point in the 70s ?

Struggling to find much on the web about it.......