Counties served by the LNER?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Counties served by the LNER?

Post by 52D »

sawdust wrote:Ahem. Yorkshire was three counties in LNER days!

Sawdust.
Ahem squared, you forgot to mention the fourth part. The Peoples Republic of South Yorkshire lol. OK not in LNER days.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

52D wrote:Around Berwick upon Tweed there were quite a few detatched areas Norham and Islandshire were marked on old maps as part of County Durham Det. I think this was originally due to religious houses owning pieces of land outside the county borders with Durham Cathedral being linked to Lindisfarne.

Yes, the links do get quite complicated. Holy Island Priory was (if I remember correctly) a 'cell' of Durham Priory. The ecclesiastical links however cross -over with the secular organisations, even into the 19th century. Of course the diocese of Durham covered all of Northumberland anyway, until the formation of Newcastle Diocese in 1882.

Critical organisations in the 12th to 16th centuries were the Palatinate of Durham, as in the title of 'Prince Bishop', the various Wardens of the Marches, and in Tudor times the Council of the North.

All interesting stuff, but perhaps a bit off-topic for a railway forum!

(Not that, of course, there is not a deep and visceral connection between the CofE and Railways! I am planning a special 'Perambulating Prebendary' as a counterpart to the 'Flying Scotsman', but perhaps I had better put the details of that in another place. Suffice to say that there will be through coaches from various Diocese in the Southern province. - So a GN catering core perhaps, with attached vehicles from the SR and GWR. It's going to be my most interesting train!)
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by 60527 »

If the list is considered at the end of the LNER era in 1947, then the list should also include Kinross-shire.
andro
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

Post by andro »

drmditch wrote:
All interesting stuff, but perhaps a bit off-topic for a railway forum!

(Not that, of course, there is not a deep and visceral connection between the CofE and Railways! I am planning a special 'Perambulating Prebendary' as a counterpart to the 'Flying Scotsman', but perhaps I had better put the details of that in another place. Suffice to say that there will be through coaches from various Diocese in the Southern province. - So a GN catering core perhaps, with attached vehicles from the SR and GWR. It's going to be my most interesting train!)
A bit off topic possibly, but I would bet that those of us who immersed ourselves in railways at an early age knew more about the geography of the country than many of our contemporaries. We knew where places were, what their industries were, how the routes connected them, why they had railways (and in some cases why they shouldn't have had railways) and we learned a lot about mechanical and civil engineering. It went far beyond trainspotting for many of us. I am not sure if it still like that.
Percy Main
LNER J39 0-6-0

Post by Percy Main »

I don't think anyone has pointed out that Newcastle was a 'city and county' and not part of Northumberland.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

Percy Main wrote:I don't think anyone has pointed out that Newcastle was a 'city and county' and not part of Northumberland.
Well - only after 1400 (according to memory - supplemented by Wikipedia).

I'm not sure I can cope with all this new-fangled stuff. What do you mean, that was at least a century before the first waggonways?

And as for Ted Heath and 1974 - what is 'Tyne and Wear' anyway?

I think all good things, like the NER and LNER, exist outside time; in the comfortable bubble that exists in my railway room and my bookshelves!

Since the Green Book suggests that the Hunts might have been re-built as Shires after 1947, how about a 'County Durham'?
In terms of local naming I would love to have No.2400 or No.2403 of course - if they would go round my curves. It's just a shame that 'Brancepeth Castle' (1 and 1/2 miles down the line from my house) was never stationed in the NE. Never mind. A running in turn perhaps?