Counties served by the LNER?

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Counties served by the LNER?

Post by 65447 »

1H was 2E wrote:Further to my earlier post; does anyone know if there's a difference between "Shire" and "County"? Politicians refer to "The Shire Counties" and some counties never seem to get the -shire suffix; for instance County Durham (and why is 'of' omitted?).
The structure of counties was an English one used before the United Kingdom existed and reference to Scottish shires makes me also wonder how that is viewed north of that border where things emanating from "Westminster" are not always universally popular. Certainly, as far as Wales goes, when around 1992 old county names made a comeback I noticed that many of the new signs marking the old Welsh counties had been obliterated with spray paint, suggesting that the locals preferred the newer names apparently based on Welsh girl's names.
Useful explanation here: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shire#Shire_county
sawdust
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by sawdust »

Ahem. Yorkshire was three counties in LNER days!

Sawdust.
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by jwealleans »

... and still is, if yer live 'ere.
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

Semantics surely, highly dependent upon what constitutes a county? If you view all parts of traditional "x" shire, as part of the county "x", with a significant part of its whole population regarding themselves as people of that one county you get one answer. If each unit with the administrative attributes of a county is a county in its own right, then the answer is different.
Not exactly the same as Yorkshire Ridings perhaps, but Lincolnshire in its traditional form was administered in separate parts; Lindsey, Kesteven, Holland, the City of Lincoln, and the COUNTY BOROUGH of Great Grimsby. County Boroughs as they were add another twist, with most or all of the functions of a County but I doubt that many residents thought of them as separate counties
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by 2502 »

Richmondshire in real LNER country.
1H was 2E
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by 1H was 2E »

Atlantic 3279 wrote: County Boroughs as they were add another twist, with most or all of the functions of a County but I doubt that many residents thought of them as separate counties
I'm not sure about this. I lived in a county borough but that didn't exclude me from being part of the county - and the county quite happily charged me rates, as well as the borough. I used the County library, rather than the borough one, because it had more railway books.
Boroughs were so called as a result of being granted a charter; the ones hereabouts were granted in the 12th century, possibly as a result of favours to the King.
Combination of the functions of county and town ("Unitary Authorities") is a very recent development; an example being in the former Bedfordshire, where the large towns have become unitary authorities leaving the rump of Bedfordshire as a small, oddly shaped county.
On the subject of traction names; modern day (BR) naming produced some interesting gaffes; two 86s had names "City of -----" where neither of the places named were cities (one subsequently gained city status, the other's still trying); 47s falling into the County of ---shire" trap; an HST "Borough of Stevenage" wording which someone observed was also likely to be encountered on the cab of a dustcart, and "Northampton Town"', which sounds more like a football team...
PaulG
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by PaulG »

Haven't seen County of Kent mentioned so far

Paul
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

What about the other Southern counties reached by the goods trains on the LSWR, LBSC, SECR Also of course Essex, with the lines to the docks.

Paul
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

PaulG wrote:Haven't seen County of Kent mentioned so far

Paul
But was that little piece of Kent on the north bank of the R Thames still extant in LNER days?

And if we are to count through carriages including parcels, there cannot be anywhere that was not served by the LNER - from Aberdeen to Penzance!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

An exclave of Kent? Do tell more.......
Most subjects, models and techniques covered in this thread are now listed in various categories on page1

Dec. 2018: Almost all images that disappeared from my own thread following loss of free remote hosting are now restored.
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

I used to know a lot more about the administrative significance of 'shire ground'. Perhaps I need to look up my under-graduate notes. Not everything gets onto Wikipedia! Generally speaking Shires had a 'Shire Reeve' or 'Sherrif'.

I do remember that Northumberland did not become 'shire ground' until some time in the 1830s/40s. There were several parts of what became Northumberland that had formerly been administered as parts of Durham (a legacy of the Palatinate and the East Marches.) 'Islandshire' included not just Holy Island but parts of the mainland. 'Hexhamshire' I think may have been a 'peculiar' of York.

Anyone for a new-build D49 named 'Islandshire' '?
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Atlantic 3279 wrote:An exclave of Kent? Do tell more.......
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/he ... _1_4009530

The first meaningful result to rock up in a search - there will be others...
drmditch

Post by drmditch »

To correct my earlier suggestion, the missing D49 is, of course, 'County Durham', in which they were all designed and built!
Atlantic 3279
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Atlantic 3279 »

65447 wrote:
Atlantic 3279 wrote:An exclave of Kent? Do tell more.......
http://www.newhamrecorder.co.uk/news/he ... _1_4009530

The first meaningful result to rock up in a search - there will be others...
Thank you. Interesting. Not mentioned at all in that Wiki-thing's article on county exclaves. Maybe it was excluded because it is only across the river, rather than cut off by land forming part of another county.

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

Around Berwick upon Tweed there were quite a few detatched areas Norham and Islandshire were marked on old maps as part of County Durham Det. I think this was originally due to religious houses owning pieces of land outside the county borders with Durham Cathedral being linked to Lindisfarne.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.