Locomotive coal

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Rlangham
LNER P2 2-8-2

Locomotive coal

Post by Rlangham »

The LNER of course served plenty of coal mining areas, but coal from different areas had differing qualities and subsequent uses - where did the LNER tend to get their coal from? Presumably it would follow pre-grouping practises. My main interest is where the NER got their coal from but thought it would be a more interesting wider discussion regarding where other companies pre-LNER and LNER itself got their locomotive coal from.

Given chances are that railway companies got their locomotive coal from the area they served, is there any evidence of railways doing some sort of bargaining with collieries, ie supply us with so much coal and we'll transport so much coal free of charge?
Author of 'The North Eastern Railway in the First World War' - now available in paperback!

http://www.amazon.co.uk/North-Eastern-R ... 781554552/

Happy to help with anything relating to the railways in the First World War, just ask
jwealleans
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Locomotive coal

Post by jwealleans »

I can't remember where it was from, but the loco coal wagons 2001 took to Vitry had the colliery name painted on the sides.

Do I remember 4498 running on 'Best Bedlington' in the 1970s and 80s?
drmditch

Re: Locomotive coal

Post by drmditch »

I did start a thread ....here.... to discuss just this subject.

It has got a bit 'off-topic' occasionally, but it would be interesting to see if anyone has found any new references.

I do know (but haven't got the reference to hand) that the NER coal contract was quite 'big-business' circa 1910!