Stothert and Pitt coaling Tower

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Interloper
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Stothert and Pitt coaling Tower

Post by Interloper »

One of this type of coaling tower, also known I believe as the Stranraer type, was installed at Worcester Shrub Hill station which I am currently modelling. However, details on this tower seem to be extremely elusive. Ideally I am looking for detailed drawings but, short of those, a description of how it operated and some close-up photographs would be useful. I have some photographs of the tower from the RM website but these need to be scaled and the tower is in 'as built' condition, i.e. all white which makes interpretation of where exactly each spar goes, its length and cross-section very difficult. Then there is the question of scaling off the photographs. Each one, of course, is a different scale. I am attempting to get hold of a copy of 'GNR Engine Sheds Vol.1' by Griffiths and Hooper from my local library as I understand this contains some photographs of this design. Any help would be gratefully received.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Re: Stothert and Pitt coaling Tower

Post by notascoobie »

Hi,

I built a model of the Retford installation and wrote it up in MRJ143.

I didn't have much to start from, mostly photos. So I did my own drawing from the photos. I think I captured the character of the original if it's a mm out here and there.

Regards,

Vernon
ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by ColHut »

isn't there an etched kit for this design by Walsworth models?

There are several pictures in the three volume series on GNR engine sheds by Griffiths and Hooper.

regards
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Adding to the fun, although I only have the first volume of 'GNR engine sheds' I can tell you that although clearly operating on the same principle there are many detail design differences between the hoist at Hatfield, which is given a very clear photo, and the hoist at Hitchin which has a reasonably good picture.

If memory serves the Walsworth models kit item approximates to the Hatfield hoist.

Correction, memory failure, pretty close to the Hitchin installation now I have looked at a picture of the model.
Last edited by Hatfield Shed on Tue Dec 20, 2016 9:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
notascoobie
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by notascoobie »

The Walworth Models kit is not of the same type of coaler as the one I built. I don't think it's the one you're after but I've only seen one poor picture of the Worcester!
ColHut
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Post by ColHut »

And me none :) There were certainly some variations on the theme. Does the OP have a link to an image of the one at Worcester?

regards