Doncaster Carr loco 1970's

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

RailwaysInMyDNA
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Doncaster Carr loco 1970's

Post by RailwaysInMyDNA »

Hi all,

I'm in the process of re-creating part of this large depot in 00 gauge and would like to ask, is anyone a former employee at the depot or familiar with how the depot handled the many locos that were stabled and serviced there? My era is mid to late 70's.

Kind regards,

Paul.
Mickey

Re: Doncaster Carr loco 1970's

Post by Mickey »

Hi Paul, the only thing I remember from that area south of Doncaster and away to the east of both Balby Junction s/box and the two Decoy s/boxes in the middle distance was seeing Carr Loco s/box that was located quite a distance away from the main running lines running into & out of Doncaster but it was easily seen from any train approaching or departing Doncaster although it's layout wasn't (actually it was a bit of a mystery box to be honest?) this was around the 1970-75 era when I saw it on my occasional return trips down from Kings Cross to Doncaster. I assume the box closed around 1976/77 when Doncaster PSB was commissioned?. There's probably a track diagram of the box somewhere on line?.

Mickey
RailwaysInMyDNA
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Post by RailwaysInMyDNA »

Hi Mickey,

The first time I came past the loco shed (1981) all the semaphores controlling the running lines into decoy had long gone but I plan to use some semaphores on my recreation of the area. I've not had a serious look for a map of that period but I'll have to post a link to anything that I can find.

Safe to say that this area has seen its biggest change since the arrive of the railway, as the maintenance site is readied for the arrival of the Hitchachi!

Paul.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

I haven't been to Doncaster in decades and I can just imagine the railway to the south of Doncaster station towards Black Carr Junction including the areas of Balby Junction, Decoy & Potteric Carr have totally changed since the late 1960s and 1970s like nearly all railway locations have around the country.

Anyway good luck in your research of the Carr area.

Mickey