GN Railmotors

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: GN Railmotors

Post by kudu »

Sorry, I had meant to delete the bit about the loco in the middle - a total red herring.

Kudu
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

Mickey wrote:These GN Railmotor coaches are these the same petrol driven motor/coach vehicles that at onetime worked the passenger service over the Hatfield-Welwyn Junction-Cole Green-Hertford single line branch line from 1905 until just before WW1?.[/i]
Sorry guy's I didn't see the originally photograph that was posted by Tim if I had seen it I wouldn't have posted the above post, I was wondering if Tim meant those 'Daimler motor/coach' things?.

Thats the trouble in using the 'works pc' the ruddy thing has a number of restrictions on it including restrictions on photographs!!. :roll:

Mickey
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

so the question is mickey, when do you get the work done??????

Oh I know overtime!!!!!!!

no problem, not everybody knows about the differences between them all.

Tim where are you , you started this, and I may be able to help more directly?

Paul
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

I now have copies of the Campling drawings of 1&2. These are very fine, but do not show where the engine/carriage pivot is located! It can be sort of worked out, but if there were original drawings around, then that would be really good. I like to get as much info as possible before building a model. One of these would look rather good shuffling around KX Goods Yard on Copenhagen Fields, but when it will be started depends on other projects.

I have the mechanism more or less worked out, in my minds eye. The valve gear would be small, but do-able using techniques developed for the current, rather larger project. The steam railmotor would be an excellent antidote.

The fully working valve gear can be positioned in forward or reverse and has forked joints. With a bit of luck I may have this running for the Ally Pally exhibition in March. It might be a push along toy for the CMRA show at Stevenage next weekend.

Tim
2512silverfox

Post by 2512silverfox »

A member of the LNER Society, Walter West, built a brilliant 7mm scale model of SRM No2 with all the necessary loco and underframe detail which he obtained from the Plant. Walter was an engineer and instructor at the Doncaster College of Technology, so I imagine that he had access to the original drawings. His model was excellent and to my limited ability, I built a matching body from plasticard to complete the set.

I am sure that a letter or e-mail to the Society would put you in touch with him, if he is still going strong, and he would be able to give you any fine detail which you might want.

Nick Campling
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

Another alternative, the GNR drawing reproduced at the rear of 'GN loco history 3A p233', relating to the conversion to a powered wagon of units 1 and 2, gives a dimension between bogie centres of 42'11". I hope to be at St Evenage on Saturday, and if you would like sight of it that would be no problem.
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

How silly of me! I completely missed the diagrams at the back of the RCTS GN vol 3a. They are most helpful.

Tim
Tim Watson

Post by Tim Watson »

Having looked closely at various drawings, the No 1 & 2 rail motor had a front pivot below the lower hand rail stanchion on the cab side within the engine frames.

Tim