GN Railmotors

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

GN Railmotors

Post by Tim Watson »

Does anyone know if there are drawings available for Nos 1 & 2? Nice view of the Midland Roundhouse at KX BTW.
Apologies for distorted image.

Tim
Darryl Tooley
NBR J36 0-6-0

Re: GN Railmotors

Post by Darryl Tooley »

Tim

There are 4mm scale drawings in 'Historic Carriage Drawings Volume 1: LNER and Constituents' by Nick Campling (Pendragon Partnership, 1997).

D
Tim Watson
GER D14 4-4-0 'Claud Hamilton'

Post by Tim Watson »

Many thanks Darryl.
I'll take a look in the MRC library. I have the Jenkinson-Campling book, but not that one.
I wonder if there are any works drawings of the engine?
Tim
GNSR D40 4-4-0

Post by 2392 »

Now that would make an interesting "New Build." As we already have the North Eastern petrol [now diesel] Railmotor, in the final throws of overhaul/restoration and the Great Western Steam railmotor. The later already in service at Didcot and fleetingly on the mainline.
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by Hatfield Shed »

'Interesting' indeed. All such steam railmotors must have been a PITA when it came to disposal, boiler wash out, fitter attention; taking up as much space in the loco shed yard as the largest UK locos.

Should there ever be thoughts of a build of such a thing, exploitation of a piece of standard road vehicle kit might profitably be explored. A redesign to include the turntable gear from an articulated tractor and trailer unit to allow the coach section to be dropped off in some convenient siding propped on the screw down posts with a set of rail skate wheels; while the loco section goes off to be worked on.
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

These GN Railmotor coaches are these the same petrol driven motor/coach vehicles that at onetime worked the passenger service over the Hatfield-Welwyn Junction-Cole Green-Hertford single line branch line from 1905 until just before WW1?.

Mickey, living the railway dream 24/7/365...
john coffin
LNER V2 2-6-2 'Green Arrow'

Post by john coffin »

no Mickey, they are steam engines with carriages attached.
The one you are talking about is the experimental Daimler car.

Tim
check your pm's please, and contact me via that.

Paul
Mickey

Post by Mickey »

john coffin wrote:no Mickey, they are steam engines with carriages attached.
The one you are talking about is the experimental Daimler car.
Thanks for the clarification Paul much appreciated.

Mickey
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Would love one of these, seeing that they worked the Edgware branch, but cost more to run than a loco and coaches, Mr Ivatt complained that they cost 7d a mile to run, but only earned 5d a mile (in summer)

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

The story of the GNR Railmotors is covered in the RCTS "Great Northern Locomotive History - Volume 3a". It details their build, allocation and work with a variety of photo's of the various vehicles. There was also a thread on either this Forum or RMweb offering 4mm etches for the later Twin coach sets derived from the railmotor coach portion. If I can find a link I will post it.

Steve

http://www.gnrsociety.com
swhite01
NER J27 0-6-0

Post by swhite01 »

The link below shows the build of the 4mm etches:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try1844116

Hope this is of interest for this discussion, as others will point out and the RCTS notes detail the coaches were from specific railmotor units.

Steve

http://www.gnrsociety.com
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

These items were built in four sets of loco and carriage, by different makers, so not only are the carriages different, but also the locos,
since each builder had a different spin on the design.

In particular, the carriages on Nos 1 & 2 were different from each other. No of seats, layout etc, although the lengths were the same.

Paul
Wolf of Badenoch
LNER N2 0-6-2T

Post by Wolf of Badenoch »

The link below shows the build of the 4mm etches:-

http://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index. ... try1844116

Hope this is of interest for this discussion, as others will point out and the RCTS notes detail the coaches were from specific railmotor units.

Steve

This link shows the build of the Horncastle and Essendine articulated twin sets ( I am building a pair of both types at present), they were not steam railmotors as they are pulled typically by an A5 or N5 as the link shows, not an integral steam loco as per a steam railmotor.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Post by kudu »

Mickey wrote:These GN Railmotor coaches are these the same petrol driven motor/coach vehicles that at onetime worked the passenger service over the Hatfield-Welwyn Junction-Cole Green-Hertford single line branch line from 1905 until just before WW1?.
In case this isn't obvious, the unit could be driven from the carriage. According to this site an extra carriage could be attached, which presumably could also be driven, placing the loco in the middle. (Reversal without shunting was the whole point of the unit.) I've also read that such units tended to be underpowered so an extra carriage could have caused problems, though this may not have been the case with the GN units. In general companies soon abandoned the idea but the LNER was enthusiastic and ordered many vertical-boilered examples from Sentinel and Clayton, as detailed on this site.

Kudu
john coffin

Post by john coffin »

Whilst there is evidence that in particular the NER ran their auto trains with carriages on both sides of the loco, so far I have found no
such actual evidence of the GNR running a carriage on either side, however, there is at least one photo of a GNR railmotor with two
carriages or indeed a goods van attached to the coach.

Paul