lost loco name found

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

lost loco name found

Post by 52D »

A few members know i am researching with the object of publishing a book about the locos of the YN&BR well quite a few of the names of earlier locos were lost in the mists of time. So over Christmas i had a few days in the search engine at the NRM. In the back of Robt Stephensons 1853 works order book i found part of the documentation for a rebuild of a Fairbairn loco for the Newcastle & Darlington Junction Railway a constituent of the YN&BR. The clerk who wrote the order down would be pleased to know that Fairbairn 2-4-0 No.19 RIPON has had its name added to my list of locos. The LNER lnfo site has a scoop as i havent passed the info on to NERA yet.
No.16 RIPON.jpg
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
manna
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: lost loco name found

Post by manna »

G'day Gents

Don't you love it when a snippet of old info jumps out like that. :mrgreen:

manna
EDGWARE GN, Steam in the Suburbs.
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 65447 »

Better change the thread title to 'found loco name no longer lost' ? :P
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

Will the book be published with the NERA? No doubt you'll tell us when it is ready!
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
Kestrel
NER C7 4-4-2

Post by Kestrel »

Good to see the 'Copper Plate' writing as well. Alas, not taught in schools any more.
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

richard wrote:Will the book be published with the NERA? No doubt you'll tell us when it is ready!
Richard im having quite a lot of checking to do as info has been contaminated over the years but im struggling through, if the book does not work out i will leave the list of locos to this page.
Hi interested in the area served by 52D. also researching colliery wagonways from same area.
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

If it comes to it, I could add them as a page attached to the NER section...
That would make them easier to find on the site, rather than being lost in the forums.
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
52D
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by 52D »

More good luck from a reliable source a drawing showing the name no less R. W. Hawthorn 0-6-0 Works Number 439 YN&BR No.39 Easingwold and the possibility of a further loco Albert having its identity confirmed.