LNER Colliery Map - 1936

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Morawiec
NER Y7 0-4-0T

LNER Colliery Map - 1936

Post by Morawiec »

Hi, I am not really a railway enthusiast, but some years ago, well 26th August 1986, I was travelling on a North York railways excursion, sampling the delights of the smell of steam and at the end of the journey I visited the shop and saw an LNER Colliery Map dated 26th August 1936 for sale - as it was the 50th birthday/anniversary of the date it was stamped. I purchased it as a reminder of a fabulous week in Whitby. The map originated from the mineral manager's office and has a date of 24th August 1936 written on the inside cover, with two further stamps on the cover from the Chief Accountant's office dated 26th August 1936. I paid £15.00 for this item (not a huge amount then, but worth significantly more than today and I have kept it for 30+ years). I have no desire to sell this item, but as it is unique in that it contains a number of handwritten notes, I felt it appropriate to just let you know that I have a copy and should any of your members be venturing into Dorset at any time, I would be happy to let them view it, similarly if any of your members would like me to photograph elements of it, I would be happy to do so. The cover is not in pristine condition, but the internal linen map is, apart from the grime associated with daily commercial use, it is in pretty good order.

I am aware that the map itself is not that rare; a simple search on google confirmed that, however, it is an 80 year old remnant of LNER and it seems a shame that until today, I kept it in a box in our shed, but from tonight, it will reside in our home, along with other items of sentimental value! I am happy to share it with anyone who is interested, but can only reiterate, that I have contacted you to share with enthusiasts that I have this item and I am not trying to sell it. I have attached a couple of photographs and should there be sufficient interest will photograph more, or let any individuals visiting Dorset view it; someone might be visiting Swanage and its railway and fancy an excursion down the road to Wimborne.

Regards

Stefan - Stefan@chapelcottage.org.uk
Bryan
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: LNER Colliery Map - 1936

Post by Bryan »

no photos that I can see.
Morawiec
NER Y7 0-4-0T

Re: LNER Colliery Map - 1936

Post by Morawiec »

Sorry - I have discovered that the files exceed the size limit of 500kb - I hope that this is of some value to you
Attachments
Map1.jpg
Map1.jpg (15.38 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Map2.jpg
Map2.jpg (16.13 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Map3.jpg
Map3.jpg (9.91 KiB) Viewed 2654 times
Map4.jpg
Map4.jpg (9.08 KiB) Viewed 2654 times