Sources of imported loco coal, 1950s.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nimbus
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Sources of imported loco coal, 1950s.

Post by Nimbus »

I'm interested to note that a huge amount of low-quality, imported, loco coal was in use by BR in the 1950s, while good quality, home-dug coal was being sold abroad. This was obviously the consequence of political 'balance of payments' issues, but I have been further surprised to note that the vast number of power-stations then actually preferred this imported coal. I don't know about gas works? The stuff was dreadful, as far as smoke and pollution was concerned, not to mention firebox clinker problems and lethal smogs! How ironic that this was when the first Clean Air Act was introduced. Does anybody know where this imported coal was sourced, where it was imported, and how it was distributed around the BR network? I think that there was some sort of grading at loco coaling plants, with express locos getting 'better quality' coal, and shunters, etc, getting the really awful stuff? Thanks for your memories or information on this.
Blink Bonny
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Sources of imported loco coal, 1950s.

Post by Blink Bonny »

Ay up!

Decent coal is wasted in a power station. They use pulverised coal which burns like a gas and with very little in the way of smoke emissions. However, stick this stuff in a locomotive type firebox and oh, deary me! The SVR and Worth Valley both bought loads of Polish coal in the 1990s. The stuff the SVR got was quite awful. It ruined locomotive fire bars so they tried it in the booking offices. It destroyed their firegrates. In the end, they sold the stuff to the CEGB who were over the moon with it! The Worth Valley's was not to either the S15 or Manor's taste at all! After the 1st downhill trip of the day Odney Manor's fireman was using the dart to try and break up the clinker. He then opened the Manor's hopper ash pan and dropped a massive brick of clinker that took nearly 10 years to decompose.

I understand that some of the imports came from Poland and a load of it ended up at Bath Green Park. All but the Bulleid Pacifics burnt the stuff without too much fuss. The WCs, however, emitted huge, volcanic clouds of smelly brown clag!
If I ain't here, I'm in Bilston, scoffing decent chips at last!!!!