30A in the 1960's.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

ajb200
GER J70 0-6-0T Tram

30A in the 1960's.

Post by ajb200 »

Hi, does anybody recall the steam loco's stored in one of the buildings at 30A in the works area during the mid 1960's ? I made several visits to the depot but did not take any photo's and I no longer have my notebooks. Thank You.
kudu
LNER Thompson B1 4-6-0 'Antelope'

Re: 30A in the 1960's.

Post by kudu »

The Stratford shed and works complex might not have been the largest in area but was undoubtedly the most complex, and I'm not sure what building you are referring to. There were two erecting shops in separate places that would have contained locos, but not in store. There would have been stored locos in the western yard of the Jubilee shed but probably not in the shed itself. The locos in the adjacent "New" shed would be under repair, not stored, I would think. Locos for scrapping were lined up by the Departmental Loco shed, but again in the open. Maybe you are thinking of the locos kept for a time in the carriage repair shop. This was located along the south eastern side of the line from Fork Junction (immediately north of Stratford Low Level station) to Temple Mills. (The complex had running lines cutting through it in more or less every direction.) I can't give you a list of the locos but they were all preserved locos awaiting housing in Clapham Transport Museum. I'm not sure when they were there, but the museum opened in 1961. As I recall, the building was kept locked and I could only see some of them through the windows. Presumably it would have been the same for you.

These may or may not be the locos you were thinking of. I'm not aware of other buildings housing stored locos.

Kudu
Mickey

Re: 30A in the 1960's.

Post by Mickey »

kudu wrote: Sun May 07, 2017 4:34 pm Locos for scrapping were lined up by the Departmental Loco shed, but again in the open.
From a vague memory of a 1970 or 1971 Stratford 'shed bash' found either 3 or 4 'Baby Deltic' diesel locos (class 23) standing in a line outside in the open on one of the many siding roads around the shed and also on the same day I have a vague feeling that there may have been some Paxman diesel locos (class 15) also standing in a line as well standing nearby.

Later on in the 1970s during 1979 I was actually a secondman at Stratford from about April to December of that year.

Mickey