Cylinder Drain Cocks

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Cylinder Drain Cocks

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

is it me or does it seem that present-day steam operations require an apparent over use of cylinder drain cocks being open? (Particularly mainline starts)
I'm not a technical person so any informed response would be appreciated as I can't recall such happening so often in the old days.
Thanks in anticipation
Hatfield Shed
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Re: Cylinder Drain Cocks

Post by Hatfield Shed »

I would suggest two factors.

Most steam locos in preservation conditions are not being worked as intensively as when steam traction was the norm, therefore more use of the drain cocks is necessary while the engines are getting up to full temperature to avoid any condensation build up in the cylinders.

Rather more care being taken of locomotives in preservation than by the steam age workforce, who perhaps were not uniformly quite so concerned about the niceties shall we say? (Compare overall treatment of company cars with that of privately owned vehicles.)
STAFFORDA4
NBR D34 4-4-0 'Glen'

Post by STAFFORDA4 »

Thank you for the explanation; it makes great sense
Eric
richard
LNER A4 4-6-2 'Streak'

Post by richard »

I was also under the impression that the drain cocks were opened more to put on a bit of a show for the photographers?
They're all lined up on the platform - better keep them entertained whilst we wait for departure time :-)
Richard Marsden
LNER Encyclopedia
greenglade
GCR O4 2-8-0 'ROD'

Post by greenglade »

drain cocks should always be used when starting, this is very important for piston valve locomotives as they risk a hydraulic lock, you need to clear the condensate first.....side valves can get away with the valve listing but still best avoided..

Pete