Sunderland question.

This forum is for the discussion of the LNER, its constituent companies, and their histories.

Moderators: 52D, Tom F, Rlangham, Atlantic 3279, Blink Bonny, Saint Johnstoun, richard

Nortonboy
LNER J94 0-6-0ST Austerity

Sunderland question.

Post by Nortonboy »

I am curious to establish the history of a very specific feature close to Sunderland Station. To the south is the divergence of the coast line and the former line to Penshaw. This line curved away to the west and was joined the line from South Docks which passed through the old Fawcett Street Station. I have a photo looking south from the exit of the present station towards Fawcett Street Station and there appears to be a brick arc below or adjacent to it. Old OS six inch maps circa 1900 show a line heading towards this point from the present station. In the 60's I believe this line terminated as a siding and was used as a stabling point for DMU's but was this a termination of an earlier line passing under the arch and if so where too?
This unit is fitted with a tea and/or biscuit deprivation sensor.
Activation will result in mumbling, ranting, discoord*%$"ion )&$&"! and )*($£
limitofshunt
LNER Thompson L1 2-6-4T

Re: Sunderland question.

Post by limitofshunt »

Where in relation to the former station platform do you mean?

There was a line which continued to a headshunt under the access road to the Old Station (see the attached map). It's present on the 1890 and 1910 OS maps then disappears. It's not clear from the map what its purpose was.

Jon
map-2.jpg
Trestrol
GCR D11 4-4-0 'Improved Director'

Post by Trestrol »

Wish I had realised this is where you were talking about. I was in the depot yesterday and could have got pictures. Most is now under the car park next to the depot although there is a small entrance with rooms off it. I was told theses were used as storage areas at one time. I will try and get a picture next time I am there.
PinzaC55
LNER A3 4-6-2

Post by PinzaC55 »

The line was only a dead end siding and never went any further south. It's certainly not shown on pre 1879 plans of which there are a couple in the PRO at Kew. Come to think of it, if it HAD gone further south it would have crossed the Fawcett Street - Hendon Junction line too high to make an underbridge possible ?